Advance Care Planning
- 326 Downloads
Advance care planning (ACP) refers to ongoing discussions about shared decision-making in which patients (including residents of long-term care intuitions and clients in community settings), their families, and healthcare providers reflect on patient’s goals, values, and beliefs in relation to their current and future medical care (Detering and Silveira 2016). Ideally, this process documents patients’ future healthcare choices so that the information follows them across healthcare settings and is enacted when needed (Hickman et al. 2005). Such documents may also appoint an agent or proxy decision-maker in the event of incapacity. The ultimate goal of ACP is to help ensure that patients receive medical care that is consistent with their values, goals, and preferences during serious and chronic illnesses (Sudore et al. 2017).
Advance care planning...
- Detering KM, Silveira MJ (2016) Advance care planning and advance directives: UpToDate. Available from http://www.uptodate.com/contents/advance-care-planning-andadvance-directives. Accessed 17 Apr 2019
- Ho AHY, Lall P, Tan WS, Patinadan PV, Wong LH, Dutta O, Peng WS, Low CK, Car J (2019) Sustainable implementation of advance care planning in Asia: an interpretive-systemic framework. Action Research for Community Health, Nanyang Technological University, SingaporeGoogle Scholar
- Institute of Medicine (IOM) (2014) Dying in America: improving quality and honoring individual preferences near the end of life. The National Academies Press, Washington, DCGoogle Scholar
- Kutner L (1969) Due process of euthanasia: the living will, a proposal. Indiana Law J 44:539–554Google Scholar
- Siouta N, van Beek K, Preston P, Hasselaar J, Hughes S, Payne S, Garralda E, Centeno C, van der Eerden M, Groot M, Hodiamont F, Radbruch L, Busa C, Csikos A, Menten J (2016) Towards integration of palliative care in patients with chronic heart failure and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: a systematic literature review of European guidelines and pathways. BMC Palliat Care 15:18. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12904-016-0089-4CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Sudore RL, Lum HD, You JJ, Hanson LC, Meier DE, Pantilat SZ, Matlock DD, Rietjens JAC, Korgage IJ, Richie CS, Kutner JS, Teno JM, Thomas J, McMahan RD, Heyland DK (2017) Defining advance care planning for adults: a consensus definition from a multidisciplinary Delph panel. J Pain Symptom Manag 53(5):821–832CrossRefGoogle Scholar