Fire: Prescriptive and Performance Based Design
Best practices in the field of fire engineering are procedures that are accepted or prescribed as being correct or most effective.
Strategies for fire engineering is a plan of action designed to achieve an overall aim, usually life safety and property conservation.
When architects and engineers collaborate on a new building, extension to an existing building, or renovation to a new building, fire and life safety is always a consideration. A specialty in the fire community that exists to assist with that is fire protection engineers. Fire protection engineering is a professional licensure governed by the state in which the person would like to be licensed in. To become a licensed professional engineer (PE), a person would need to complete a 4-year degree in engineering from an accredited engineering program, pass the Fundamental of Engineering (FE) exam, complete a state-determined number of years working under a licensed PE, and then pass the Principles and...
KeywordsFire protection tactics Fire protection schemes
- Foliente, G. (2000). Developments in performance-based building codes and standards. Forest Products Journal, 50, 12–21.Google Scholar
- Georgia Department of Community Affairs. (n.d.). Georigia State Amendments to the International Building Code (2012 Edition). Retrieved from https://dca.ga.gov/sites/default/files/2014_ibcamendments.pdf
- ICC. (n.d.). About ICC. Retrieved from International Code Council: https://www.iccsafe.org/about-icc/overview/about-international-code-council/
- NFPA. (n.d.). About NFPA. Retrieved from National Fire Protection Association: https://www.nfpa.org/About-NFPA
- NIST. (n.d.-a). CFAST, fire growth and smoke transport modeling. Retrieved from National Institute of Standards and Technology: https://www.nist.gov/el/fire-research-division-73300/product-services/consolidated-fire-and-smoke-transport-model-cfast
- NIST. (n.d.-b). FDS and smokeview. Retrieved from National Institute of Standards and Technology: https://www.nist.gov/services-resources/software/fds-and-smokeview
- SFPE. (2007). SFPE engineering guide to performance-based fire protection. Bethesda: Society of Fire Protection Engineers and the National Fire Protection Association, Inc.Google Scholar
- SFPE. (n.d.). About SFPE. Retrieved from Society of Fire Protection Engineers: https://www.sfpe.org/page/About?