For the purposes of this unit, event security can be defined as the plans, design, and implementation of measures required to create and maintain a safe environment for a planned event that includes attendance and participation of a private or public nature.
Physically securing events is not a new phenomenon; however, over the past 20 years (1998–2018), the globally accepted approach has evolved into a methodology where all hazards of a reasonable nature are factored into the security plan. This topic will be addressed in a manner that allows the reader to gain an understanding of the potential risks which could cause a disruption to an event, how securing an event should be accomplished, and the potential consequences event security managers much consider, such as postponing the event to experiencing a crisis where death and/or serious physical injury to those on site is likely to occur.
Types of Events
KeywordsCelebratory event security Commemorative event security Diplomatic event security Entertainment event security Festival event security Mass gathering event security Religious event security Special event security Sporting event security
- Crowd Surfing. http://www.geeksandbeats.com/2014/06/the-origins-of-crowd-surfing-who-did-it-first/. Accessed 07 May 2018.
- Illicit Drugs at Music Festivals. https://www.recovery.org/topics/drug-use-music-festivals/. Accessed 07 May 2018.
- Las Vegas Strip Shooting. https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2017/national/las-vegas-shooting/?utm_term=.2ed14f1aea43. Accessed 08 May 2017.
- Love Parade Music Festival. https://www.theguardian.com/world/2010/jul/.../love-parade-festival-tunnel-stamped. Accessed 07 May 2018.
- Manchester Evening News. https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/manchester-arena-terror-attack-19-13075943. Accessed 07 May 2018.
- Mosh Pit Definition. https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/mosh%20pit. Accessed 07 May 2018.
- Madensen, T., & Knutsson, J. (2011) Preventing crowd violence (Crime prevention studies). Boulder: Lynne Rienner Publishers. ISBN-13: 978-1588267535.Google Scholar
- Norman, T. L. (2016). Risk analysis and security countermeasure selection (2nd ed.). Boca Raton: CRC Press. ISBN: 9781482244205.Google Scholar
- Walton, B., & Philpott, D. (2011). Special event security planning and management. Longboat Key: Government Training Inc. ISBN-13: 978-1937246792.Google Scholar