Decolonization and Boundary Disputes in West Africa
- 5 Downloads
Decolonization and Boundary Disputes in West Africa refers to three cases decided by the International Court of Justice that determined the location of sections of the international borders between four countries in north-west Africa. The first decision was rendered in 1986 in a case between Burkina Faso and the Republic of Mali; the second decision was rendered in 2005 in a case between Benin and Niger; the third decision was rendered in 2013 in a case between Burkina Faso and Niger. Each case bears the title “Frontier Dispute”; the first two were heard by Special Chambers pursuant to special agreements between parties, while the third was heard by the full Court.
In addition to resolving the boundary disputes between the countries, the decisions are notable for four features. First, their application of the uti possidetis jurisprinciple, which prescribes respect for territorial borders at the moment when independence is achieved. The cases...
- All-African People’s Conferences (Spring 1962). Int Organ 16:429–434Google Scholar
- Antonopoulos C (1996) The principle of Uti Possidetis Iuris in contemporary international law. Revue Hellenique de Droit International 49:29–88Google Scholar
- Anyangwe C (2003) African border disputes and their settlement by international judicial process. S Afr Yearb Int Law 28:29–58Google Scholar
- Barrie G (1988) Uti Possidetis versus self-determination and modern international law: in Africa the chickens are coming home to roost. J S Afr Law 1988(3):451–456Google Scholar
- Chafer T (2002) The end of empire in French West Africa: France’s successful decolonization? Berg, OxfordGoogle Scholar
- Communiqué de Press No. 86/18: Frontier Dispute (Burkina Faso/Mali) Judgment of the Chamber (Dec. 22, 1986). Int Ct. JGoogle Scholar
- Frontier Dispute (Burkina Faso/Republic of Mali), judgment, I.C.J. Reports 1986, p 554Google Scholar
- Frontier Dispute (Benin/Niger), judgment, I.C.J. Reports 2005, p 90Google Scholar
- Frontier Dispute (Burkina Faso/Niger), judgment, I.C.J Reports 2013, p 44Google Scholar
- OAU Res. AHG/Res. 16(I) (Resolution on border disputes) (1964)Google Scholar