Monopolar Spindle 1 (Mps1)
Mps1 was first identified in the budding yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae and named for the monopolar spindles that form in the mps1 mutant strain (reviewed in Fisk et al. 2004). These spindles are generated as a result of the absence of spindle pole body (SPB) duplication; mutant yeast cells consequently undergo a “monopolar” mitosis. Four years later, the mps1 gene was shown to encode an essential dual-specificity protein kinase, and a fission yeast homolog, termed Mph1, was also identified in Schizosaccharomyces pombe (Fisk et al. 2004). Library screening with antibodies to phosphotyrosine also identified a human protein kinase termed TTK/PYT, and a mouse kinase termed Esk; these were later recognized as vertebrate Mps1 orthologs. In addition, Xenopus, zebrafish and Drosophila Mps1 orthologs have also been characterized (Fisk et al. 2004)....
- Bhonde MR, Hanski ML, Budczies J, Cao M, Gillissen B, Moorthy D, Simonetta F, Scherubl H, Truss M, Hagemeier C, Mewes HW, Daniel PT, Zeitz M, Hanski C. DNA damage-induced expression of p53 suppresses mitotic checkpoint kinase hMps1: the lack of this suppression in p53MUT cells contributes to apoptosis. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:8675–85.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Colombo R, Caldarelli M, Mennecozzi M, Giorgini ML, Sola F, Cappella P, Perrera C, Depaolini SR, Rusconi L, Cucchi U, Avanzi N, Bertrand JA, Bossi RT, Pesenti E, Galvani A, Isacchi A, Colotta F, Donati D, Moll J. Targeting the mitotic checkpoint for cancer therapy with NMS-P715, an inhibitor of MPS1 kinase. Cancer Res. 2010;70:10255–64.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Kwiatkowski N, Jelluma N, Filippakopoulos P, Soundararajan M, Manak MS, Kwon M, Choi HG, Sim T, Deveraux QL, Rottmann S, Pellman D, Shah JV, Kops GJ, Knapp S, Gray NS. Small-molecule kinase inhibitors provide insight into Mps1 cell cycle function. Nat Chem Biol. 2010;6:359–68.PubMedPubMedCentralCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Niittymaki I, Gylfe A, Laine L, Laakso M, Lehtonen HJ, Kondelin J, Tolvanen J, Nousiainen K, Pouwels J, Jarvinen H, Nuorva K, Mecklin JP, Makinen M, Ristimaki A, Orntoft TF, Hautaniemi S, Karhu A, Kallio MJ, Aaltonen LA. High frequency of TTK mutations in microsatellite-unstable colorectal cancer and evaluation of their effect on spindle-assembly checkpoint. Carcinogenesis. 2011;32:305–11.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Shimogawa MM, Graczyk B, Gardner MK, Francis SE, White EA, Ess M, Molk JN, Ruse C, Niessen S, Yates III JR, Muller EG, Bloom K, Odde DJ, Davis TN. Mps1 phosphorylation of Dam1 couples kinetochores to microtubule plus ends at metaphase. Curr Biol. 2006;16:1489–501.PubMedPubMedCentralCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Swanton C, Marani M, Pardo O, Warne PH, Kelly G, Sahai E, Elustondo F, Chang J, Temple J, Ahmed AA, Brenton JD, Downward J, Nicke B. Regulators of mitotic arrest and ceramide metabolism are determinants of sensitivity to paclitaxel and other chemotherapeutic drugs. Cancer Cell. 2007;11:498–512.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar