Retinoblastoma Tumor Suppressor Protein (RB)
Isoforms of the retinoblastoma tumor suppressor protein (RB) have meanwhile been identified in many different species. As far as human RB is concerned, its gene has been found on chromosome 13 in 1983 (Cavenee et al. 1983). Subsequently, the sequences of the human RB gene and its encoded RB protein (encompassing 928 amino acids) have been communicated in 1986 (Friend et al. 1986) and, respectively, 1987 (Lee et al. 1987a). In the following 2 years, two important functional aspects of RB have been unveiled: its cell cycle-dependent phosphorylation (Chen et al. 1989; deCaprio et al. 1989) and its physical interaction with viral oncoproteins such as the E7 protein of the human papillomavirus (HPV) type 16 (Dyson et al. 1989). Within this same period, it was also discovered that the introduction of the intact RB gene into various tumor cells, e.g., human prostate carcinoma cells...
- Bishop JM. How to win the Nobel prize – an unexpected life in science. Cambridge: Harvard University Press; 2003. p. 229.Google Scholar
- Hernando E, Nahlé Z, Juan G, Diaz-Rodriguez E, Alaminos M, Hemann M, Michel L, Mittal V, Gerald W, Benezra R, Lowe SW, Cordon-Cardo C. Rb inactivation promotes genomic instability by uncoupling cell cycle progression from mitotic control. Nature. 2004;430:797–802.PubMedPubMedCentralCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Radulescu RT. Planet RB: a personal contribution to a proteomic map of human retinoblastoma protein. 2007;arXiv:0706.1996.Google Scholar
- Radulescu RT. The nucleocrine pathway comes of age. Romanian J Morphol Embryol. 2015;56(2):343–8. PMID: 26193197. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26193197?dopt=AbstractPlus
- Schutte M, Hruban RH, Geradts J, Maynard R, Hilgers W, Rabindran SK, Moskaluk CA, Hahn SA, Schwarte-Waldhoff I, Schmiegel W, Baylin SB, Kern SE, Herman JG. Abrogation of the Rb/p16 tumor-suppressive pathway in virtually all pancreatic carcinomas. Cancer Res. 1997;57:3126–30.PubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Thomas L. The youngest science – notes of a medicine-watcher. New York: Bantam Books; 1983. p. 202–3.Google Scholar