Platelet-derived growth factor, PDGF, was first found as a factor that comes from platelet that stimulates the growth of fibroblasts in vitro (Hannink and Donoghue 1989). Also, PDGF is characterized as a potent mitogen for mesenchymal origin cells such as smooth muscle cells, fibroblasts, and glial cells (Hannink and Donoghue 1989). Furthermore, it is known that PDGF is related to blood vessel formation and induces angiogenesis (Keck et al. 1989). Two types of PDGF polypeptides, PDGF-A and PDGF-B, were firstly reported for subtypes. In early 2000s, additional two types of PDGF were identified, which are PDGF-C and PDGF-D (Li et al. 2000; Bergsten et al. 2001). This entry examines further details of PDGF.
PDGF receptor (PDGFR) is a cell surface receptor and type of receptor tyrosine kinase (RTK). After ligand binding, PDGFR internalizes and regulates downstream signaling such as Akt and ERK (Heldin 1992). Two...
- Akhavan D, Pourzia AL, Nourian AA, Williams KJ, Nathanson D, Babic I, Villa GR, Tanaka K, Nael A, Yang H, Dang J, Vinters HV, Yong WH, Flagg M, Tamanoi F, Sasayama T, James CD, Kornblum HI, Cloughesy TF, Cavenee WK, Bensinger SJ, Mischel PS. De-repression of PDGFRβ transcription promotes acquired resistance to EGFR tyrosine kinase inhibitors in glioblastoma patients. Cancer Discov. 2013;3(5):534–47.PubMedPubMedCentralCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Bible KC, Suman VJ, Molina JR, Smallridge RC, Maples WJ, Menefee ME, Rubin J, Karlin N, Sideras K, Morris 3rd JC, McIver B, Hay I, Fatourechi V, Burton JK, Webster KP, Bieber C, Traynor AM, Flynn PJ, Cher Goh B, Isham CR, Harris P, Erlichman C. A multicenter phase 2 trial of pazopanib in metastatic and progressive medullary thyroid carcinoma: MC057H. Endocrine Malignancies Disease Oriented Group, Mayo Clinic Cancer Center, and the Mayo Phase 2 Consortium. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2014;99(5):1687–93.PubMedPubMedCentralCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Chiorean EG, Sweeney C, Youssoufian H, Qin A, Dontabhaktuni A, Loizos N, Nippgen J, Amato R. A phase I study of olaratumab, an anti-platelet-derived growth factor receptor alpha (PDGFRα) monoclonal antibody, in patients with advanced solid tumors. Cancer Chemother Pharmacol. 2014;73(3):595–604.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Duffy M. A new, innovative potential drug therapy in clinical trials for the treatment of wet macular degeneration. 2016. Available from http://www.visionaware.org/blog/visionaware-blog/a-potential-new-drug-therapy-in-clinical-trials-for-the-treatment-of-wet-macular-degeneration/12
- Ho AL, Vasudeva SD, Laé M, Saito T, Barbashina V, Antonescu CR, Ladanyi M, Schwartz GK. PDGF receptor alpha is an alternative mediator of rapamycin-induced Akt activation: implications for combination targeted therapy of synovial sarcoma. Cancer Res. 2012;72(17):4515–25.PubMedPubMedCentralCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Laimer D, Dolznig H, Kollmann K, Vesely PW, Schlederer M, Merkel O, Schiefer AI, Hassler MR, Heider S, Amenitsch L, Thallinger C, Staber PB, Simonitsch-Klupp I, Artaker M, Lagger S, Turner SD, Pileri S, Piccaluga PP, Valent P, Messana K, Landra I, Weichhart T, Knapp S, Shehata M, Todaro M, Sexl V, Höfler G, Piva R, Medico E, Ruggeri BA, Cheng M, Eferl R, Egger G, Penninger JM, Jaeger U, Moriggl R, Inghirami G, Kenner L. PDGFR blockade is a rational and effective therapy for NPM-ALK-driven lymphomas. Nat Med. 2012;18(11):1699–704.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Liu C, Li J, Xiang X, Guo L, Tu K, Liu Q, Shah VH, Kang N. PDGF receptor-α promotes TGF-β signaling in hepatic stellate cells via transcriptional and posttranscriptional regulation of TGF-β receptors. Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol. 2014;307(7):G749–59.PubMedPubMedCentralCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Miyazaki H, Yoshimatsu Y, Akatsu Y, Mishima K, Fukayama M, Watabe T, Miyazono K. Expression of platelet-derived growth factor receptor β is maintained by Prox1 in lymphatic endothelial cells and is required for tumor lymphangiogenesis. Cancer Sci. 2014;105(9):1116–23.PubMedPubMedCentralCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Ophthotech. Fovista anti-PDGF therapy clinical development. 2016. Available from http://www.ophthotech.com/product-candidates/fovista/
- Pietras K, Sjoblom T, Rubin K, Heldin C-H, Ostman A. PDGF receptors as cancer drug targets. Focus. 2003;3:439–43.Google Scholar
- Weissmueller S, Manchado E, Saborowski M, Morris 4th JP, Wagenblast E, Davis CA, Moon SH, Pfister NT, Tschaharganeh DF, Kitzing T, Aust D, Markert EK, Wu J, Grimmond SM, Pilarsky C, Prives C, Biankin AV, Lowe SW. Mutant p53 drives pancreatic cancer metastasis through cell-autonomous PDGF receptor β signaling. Cell. 2014;157(2):382–94.PubMedPubMedCentralCrossRefGoogle Scholar