In 1994, IQGAP1 was identified from a liver cDNA library, and it was named based both on the presence of IQ motifs and a region with sequence similarity to the catalytic domain of Ras GTPase-activating proteins (GAPs) (Weissbach et al. 1994). Early studies revealed that IQGAP1 did not promote GTPase activity but instead stabilizes the GTP bound forms of Cdc42 and Rac1 (Hart et al. 1996). Subsequent investigation has identified an extensive array of proteins, including components of the cytoskeleton, cell surface receptors, and signaling components, that interact with IQGAP1 (Hedman et al. 2015).
Work in the authors’ laboratory is funded by the Intramural Research Program of the National Institutes of Health.
- Alemayehu M, Dragan M, Pape C, Siddiqui I, Sacks DB, Di Guglielmo GM, et al. β-arrestin2 regulates lysophosphatidic acid-induced human breast tumor cell migration and invasion via Rap1 and IQGAP1. PLoS One. 2013;8:e56174. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0056174. [pii] PONE-D-12-23671.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Bhattacharya M, Su G, Su X, Oses-Prieto JA, Li JT, Huang X, et al. IQGAP1 is necessary for pulmonary vascular barrier protection in murine acute lung injury and pneumonia. Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol. 2012;303:L12–9. https://doi.org/10.1152/ajplung.00375.2011. [pii] ajplung.00375.2011.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Jaffe AB, Hall A. Rho GTPases: biochemistry and biology. Annu Rev Cell Dev Biol. 2005;21:247–69. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.cellbio.21.020604.150721.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Kim JH, Xu EY, Sacks DB, Lee J, Shu L, Xia B, et al. Identification and functional studies of a new Nrf2 partner IQGAP1: a critical role in the stability and transactivation of Nrf2. Antioxid Redox Signal. 2013;19:89–101. https://doi.org/10.1089/ars.2012.4586.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Kohno T, Urao N, Ashino T, Sudhahar V, Inomata H, Yamaoka-Tojo M, et al. IQGAP1 links PDGF receptor-beta signal to focal adhesions involved in vascular smooth muscle cell migration: role in neointimal formation after vascular injury. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 2013;305:C591–600. https://doi.org/10.1152/ajpcell.00011.2013. [pii] ajpcell.00011.2013.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Sbroggio M, Carnevale D, Bertero A, Cifelli G, De Blasio E, Mascio G, et al. IQGAP1 regulates ERK1/2 and AKT signalling in the heart and sustains functional remodelling upon pressure overload. Cardiovasc Res. 2011;91:456–64. https://doi.org/10.1093/cvr/cvr103. [pii] cvr103.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Sharma S, Findlay GM, Bandukwala HS, Oberdoerffer S, Baust B, Li Z, et al. Dephosphorylation of the nuclear factor of activated T cells (NFAT) transcription factor is regulated by an RNA-protein scaffold complex. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 2011;108:11381–6. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.1019711108. [pii] 1019711108.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Yamaoka-Tojo M, Ushio-Fukai M, Hilenski L, Dikalov SI, Chen YE, Tojo T, et al. IQGAP1, a novel vascular endothelial growth factor receptor binding protein, is involved in reactive oxygen species-dependent endothelial migration and proliferation. Circ Res. 2004;95:276–83. https://doi.org/10.1161/01.RES.0000136522.58649.60. [pii] 01.RES.0000136522.58649.60.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar