Pathology of the Pleura and Mediastinum

2018 Edition
| Editors: Timothy Craig Allen, Saul Suster

Hodgkin Lymphoma, Mediastinal

  • Horatiu OlteanuEmail author
Reference work entry


Hodgkin’s disease


Hodgkin lymphoma (HL) is a B-cell neoplasm characterized morphologically by the presence of relatively rare atypical neoplastic cells (Reed-Sternberg cells, Hodgkin cells, or LP cells) in a background of nonneoplastic, variably heterogeneous inflammatory infiltrate. HL is broadly divided in classical HL, which represent 95% of cases, and nodular lymphocyte predominant HL (NLPHL), which constitutes the remainder 5%. Classical HL is further subdivided into four categories: nodular sclerosis, mixed cellularity, lymphocyte-rich, and lymphocyte-depleted, based on cellular composition and different histologic pattern (Mani and Jaffe 2009).

Clinical Features

  • Incidence

    In the US and Western Europe, HL has an incidence of 3–5 cases/100,000/year, while in Japan the incidence is about threefold lower. In patients with AIDS, the risk of developing HL is ten times higher than in an HIV-negative individual.

  • Age

    Classical HL has a bimodal age distribution, with...

This is a preview of subscription content, log in to check access.

References and Further Reading

  1. Eberle, F. C., Mani, H., & Jaffe, E. S. (2009). Histopathology of Hodgkin’s lymphoma. Cancer Journal, 15(2), 129–137.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
  2. Eichenauer, D. A., Engert, A., & Dreyling, M. (2011). Hodgkin's lymphoma: ESMO Clinical Practice Guidelines for diagnosis, treatment and follow-up. Annals of Oncology, 22(Suppl 6), vi55–vi58.PubMedGoogle Scholar
  3. Hoppe, R. T., Advani, R. H., Ai, W. Z., Ambinder, R. F., Bello, C. M., Bierman, P. J., et al. (2011). Hodgkin lymphoma. Journal of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, 9(9), 1020–1058.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
  4. Kuppers, R. (2009). Molecular biology of Hodgkin lymphoma. Hematology American Society of Hematology Education Program, 2009(1), 491–496.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
  5. Mani, H., & Jaffe, E. S. (2009). Hodgkin lymphoma: An update on its biology with new insights into classification. Clinical Lymphoma & Myeloma, 9(3), 206–216.CrossRefGoogle Scholar

Copyright information

© Springer International Publishing AG, part of Springer Nature 2018

Authors and Affiliations

  1. 1.Medical College of WisconsinMilwaukeeUSA
  2. 2.Department of Pathology, Mayo ClinicRochesterUSA