Big Data in Smart Cities
A smart city is a city which invests in Information and Communication Technology (ICT) enhanced governance and participatory processes to develop appropriate public service, transportation, and energy infrastructures that can ensure sustainable socioeconomic development, healthy environment, enhanced quality-of-life, and intelligent management of environment and natural resources. From a technology perspective, smart cities are focused on capturing, processing, and making effective use of heterogeneous, temporal, and ever increasing large-scale or big urban data.
City governance is a complex phenomenon and requires new combinations of top-down and bottom-up ICT-enabled governance methodologies to efficiently manage cities. Cities are a major source of urban, socioeconomic, and environmental data, which provide basis for developing and testing Smart City solutions....
Authors acknowledge that the work presented in this chapter was funded by the University of the West of England, Bristol, UK and three European Commission projects: FP7 UrbanAPI (Grant# 288577), FP7 DECUMANUS (Grant# 607183) and H2020 Smarticipate (Grant# 693729). We also thank David Ludlow from the University of the West of England, Bristol, UK for reviewing and providing constructive feedback on this chapter.
- Abbasi AG, Khan Z (2017) VeidBlock: verifiable identity using blockchain and ledger in a software defined network. In: SCCTSA2017 co-located with 10th utility and cloud computing conference, Austin, 5–8 Dec 2017Google Scholar
- Ai Y, Peng M, Zhang K (2017) Edge cloud computing technologies for Internet of things: a primer. Digital Commun Netw. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.dcan.2017.07.001
- Garzon A, Palacios M, Pecci J, Khan Z, Ludlow D (2014) Using space-based downstream services for urban management in smart cities. In: Proceedings of the 7th IEEE/ACM utility and cloud computing, 8–11 Dec 2014. IEEE, London, pp 818–823Google Scholar
- IES Cities (2013) Internet-enabled services for the cities across Europe, European Commission, Grant Agreement 325097Google Scholar
- Khan Z, Ludlow D, Loibl W, Soomro K (2014b) ICT enabled participatory urban planning and policy development: the UrbanAPI project. Transform Gov People Process Policy 8(2):205–229Google Scholar
- Marconcini M, Metz A (2016) A suite of novel EO-based products in support of urban green planning. In: Conference on urban planning and regional development in the information society, 22–24 June 2016Google Scholar
- Open Government Data (2017) Open knowledge foundation [online], URL-Access: https://okfn.org/about/our-impact/opengovernment/. Last-accessed 16 Oct 2017
- San José R, Pérez J, Pecci J, Garzón A, Palacio M (2015a) Urban climate impact analysis using WRF-chem and diagnostic downscaling techniques: Antwerp, Helsinki, London, Madrid and Milan case studies. In: Proceedings of the VII atmospheric science symposium, Istanbul, vol 27, pp 223–247, Apr 2015Google Scholar
- San José R, Pérez J, Pérez L, González R, Pecci J, Garzón A, Palacios M (2015b) Regional and urban downscaling of global climate scenarios for health impact assessments. Meteorol Clim Air Qual Appl 27:223–247Google Scholar
- Soomro K, Khan Z, Hasham K (2016) Towards provisioning of real-time Smart City services using clouds. In: 9th international conference on utility and cloud computing, Shanghai, 06–09 Dec 2016Google Scholar
- W3C PROV model (2013) W3C PROV model primer, W3C working group note 30 Apr 2013. Online, URL at: https://www.w3.org/TR/prov-primer/. Last-Accessed 12 Oct 2017