Cellular Unlicensed Spectrum Technology
Cellular unlicensed spectrum technology is a collective term that refers to cellular technologies exploiting the unlicensed band spectrum.
The first and foremost example was designed by the 3rd Generation Partnership Project (3GPP), which is Long-Term Evolution (LTE) License-Assisted Access (LAA) technology (Kwon et al. 2017). LAA received its name from the system’s design, in which it only allows the use of unlicensed carriers when it is operated together with a licensed carrier. LTE LAA has been developed in multiple phases: Rel-13 LAA Study Item (SI) phase, Rel-13 LAA Work Item (WI) phase, Rel-14 enhanced LAA (eLAA) WI phase, and Rel-15 further enhanced LAA (FeLAA) WI phase. FeLAA in Rel-15 is currently ongoing. Similar to 3GPP, MulteFire has been specifying the stand-alone unlicensed system, a system designed to operate on unlicensed carriers without the need of a licensed carrier ([Online]....
- ETSI EN 301 893 (2017) Harmonized European Standard, Broadband Radio Access Networks (BRAN); 5 GHz high performance RLAN, V2.1.0Google Scholar
- IEEE Std 802.11TM-2012, Part 11: wireless LAN Medium Access Control (MAC) and Physical Layer (PHY) specifications, 2012Google Scholar
- Jeon J, Niu H, Li Q, Papathanassiou A, Wu G (2015) LTE with listen-before-talk in unlicensed spectrum. In: IEEE international conference on communications, LondonGoogle Scholar
- Kwon H-J, Jeon J, Bhorkar A, Ye Q, Harada H, Jiang Y, Liu L, Nagata S, Ng BL, Novlan T, Oh J, Yi W (2017) Licensed-assisted access to unlicensed spectrum in LTE release 13. IEEE Commun Mag 55(2):201--207 Google Scholar
- RP-151045 (2015) New work item on licensed-assisted access to unlicensed spectrum. Ericsson, Huawei, Qualcomm, Alcatel-Lucent, 3GPP TSG RAN Meeting #68Google Scholar
- RP-152272 (2015) New work item on enhanced LAA for LTE. Ericsson, Huawei, 3GPP TSG RAN Meeting #70Google Scholar
- RP-170828 (2017) New SID on NR-based access to unlicensed spectrum. QualcommGoogle Scholar
- RP-170848 (2017) New work item on enhancements to LTE operation in unlicensed spectrum. Nokia, Ericsson, Intel, Qualcomm, 3GPP TSG RAN Meeting #75Google Scholar
- Technical Report 36.889, Study on licensed-assisted access to unlicensed spectrum. 3GPP, May 2015Google Scholar