60 GHz in WBAN and mm-Wave Technologies
Living reference work entry
- 110 Downloads
A WBAN is a network that body sensors utilize to communicate with each other, by sending and storing data across sensors.
Wireless body area networks (WBANs) are a highly popular communication system in the current market. As such it will transfer data with the help of a personal server and a Wi-Fi connection to a hospital so that doctors and caretakers can survey the results and statuses of the sensors on a patient’s body. WBAN allows doctors to use special treatment sensors, such as EEGs and EKGs outside of the hospital, permitting users to leave the hospital and go about their daily lives without being required to stay in a hospital due to the equipment. WBANs also allow a network that hospitals can incorporate more easily into their patient survey programs so that doctors and nurses can react more easily to unusual readings of monitoring devices. Ever since initial proposals have been made for WBANs, the network has...
This research is partly supported by the REU component of NSF 1744272 to Dr. Fang.
- Akimoto K, Kameda S, Motoyoshi M, Suematsu N (2017) Measurement of human body blocking at 60 GHz for inter-network interference of mmWave WBAN. In: 2017 IEEE Asia Pacific microwave conference (APMC), Kuala Lumpur, pp 472–475Google Scholar
- Akimoto K, Motoyoshi M, Kameda S, Suematsu N (2018) Measurement of on-body propagation loss for directional millimeter-wave WBAN. In: 2018 11th Global Symposium on Millimeter Waves (GSMM), Boulder, CO, USA, pp 1–3Google Scholar
- Cotton SL, Scanlon WG, Hall PS (2010) A simulated study of co-channel inter-BAN interference at 2.45 GHz and 60 GHz. In: The 3rd European wireless technology conference, Paris, pp 61–64Google Scholar
- Liu X, Zhang H, Gulliver TA, Xu L (2015) Ranging performance with 60 GHz signals in indoor residential environments. In: 2015 IEEE Pacific Rim conference on communications, computers and signal processing (PACRIM), Victoria, pp 70–73Google Scholar
- Saha SK, Ghasempour Y, Haider MK, Siddiqui T, De Melo P, Somanchi N, Zakrajsek L, Singh A, Torres O, Uvaydov D, Jornet JM, Knightly E, Koutsonikolas D, Pados D, Sun Z (2017) X60: a programmable testbed for wideband 60 GHz WLANs with phased arrays. In: Proceedings of the 11th workshop on wireless network testbeds, experimental evaluation & characterization (WiNTECH’17). ACM, New York, pp 75–82Google Scholar
- Zhang J, Zhang X, Kulkarni P, Ramanathan P (2016) OpenMili: a 60 GHz software radio platform with a reconfigurable phased-array antenna. In: Proceedings of the 22nd annual international conference on mobile computing and networking (MobiCom’16). ACM, New York, pp 162–175Google Scholar