Bandwidth Allocation in Data Center Networks
- 65 Downloads
In data center networks (DCNs), infrastructure as a service (IaaS) providers can flexibly allocate bandwidth in order to achieve diverse benefits for providers and tenants. For the IaaS providers, appropriate schemes of bandwidth allocation can improve the utilization of DCNs, and thus more revenues can be generated. On the other hand, the amount of bandwidth allocated for the tenants largely determines the performance of applications and the fairness of coexisting tenants.
In recent years, cloud computing is widely developed for providing various Internet services such as search, video caching, and distributed storage. To efficiently meet the requirements of data-intensive cloud computing applications, large-scale DCNs are built by IaaS providers. Among diverse studies of DCNs, bandwidth allocation plays a key role; it has been investigated from different perspectives, achieving many advances (Bari et al., 2013; Del...
- Ballani H, Costa P, Karagiannis T, Rowstron A (2011) Towards predictable datacenter networks. In: Proceedings of ACM SIGCOMM Conference, Toronto, pp 242–253Google Scholar
- Guo C, Lu G, Yang S, Kong C, Sun P, Wu W, Zhang Y, Wang H, Lv G (2010) SecondNet: a data center network virtualization architecture with bandwidth guarantees. In: Proceedings of International Conference on Emerging Networking Experiments and Technologies (CoNEXT), Philadelphia, pp 1–12Google Scholar
- Jeyakumar V, Alizadeh M, Mazières D, Prabhakar B, Kim C (2012) EyeQ: practical network performance isolation for the multi-tenant cloud. In: Proceedings of USENIX Workshop on Hot Topics in Cloud Ccomputing (HotCloud), Boston, pp 1–6Google Scholar
- Jeyakumar V, Alizadeh M, Mazières D, Prabhakar B, Greenberg A, Kim C (2013) EyeQ: practical network performance isolation at the edge. In: Proceedings of USENIX Symposium on Networked Systems Design and Implementation (NSDI), Lombard, pp 297–312Google Scholar
- Lam T, Radhakrishnan S, Vahdat A, Varghese G (2010) NetShare: virtualizing data center networks across services. Technical Report CS2010-0957, Department of Computer Science and Engineering, University of California at San DiegoGoogle Scholar
- Popa L, Kumar G, Chowdhury M, Krishnamurthy A, Ratnasamy S, Stoica I (2012) FairCloud: sharing the network in cloud computing. In: Proceedings of ACM SIGCOMM Conference, Helsinki, pp 187–198Google Scholar
- Popa L, Yalagandula P, Banerjee S, Mogul JC, Turner Y, Santos JR (2013) Elasticswitch: practical work-conserving bandwidth guarantees for cloud computing. In: Proceedings ACM SIGCOMM Conference, Hong Kong, pp 351–362Google Scholar
- Shieh A, Kandula S, Greenberg A, Kim C, Saha B (2011) Sharing the data center network. In: Proceedings of USENIX Symposium on Networked Systems Design and Implementation (NSDI), Boston, pp 309–322Google Scholar
- Xie D, Ding N, Hu YC, Kompella R (2012) The only constant is change: incorporating time-varying network reservations in data centers. In: Proceedings of ACM SIGCOMM Conference, Helsinki, pp 199–210Google Scholar