Performance Evaluation and Reporting
Performance evaluation and reporting should be studied under the complex and multidimensional concept of performance. Performance evaluation is an important element in the management control of an organization through the incorporation of key performance indicators in performance measurement systems. After the new public management (NPM) era, greater attention has been put on the performance evaluation process as a way to lead to organizational improvements. There may be an interrelationship between the control focus of an organization and the aspects which are emphasized in the evaluation of performance (an internal perspective). Performance reportingis linked to the concept of accountability and to the need to improve the reputation of an entity (an external perspective). This linkage between performance reporting and...
This work was financed by FEDER - Fundo Europeu de Desenvolvimento Regional funds through the COMPETE 2020 - Operacional Programme for Competitiveness and Internationalisation (POCI), and by Portuguese funds through FCT - Fundação para a Ciência e a Tecnologia in the framework of the project POCI-01-0145-FEDER-016908 (PTDC/IIM-GES/6923/2014).
- Creso SM, Kretz A, Sigurdson K (2013) Accountability, performance assessment, and evaluation: policy pressures and responses from research councils. Res Eval 22:105–117Google Scholar
- Gomes P, Mendes S, Carvalho J (2008) Use of performance measurement in the public sector: the case of the police service. In: Implementing reforms in public sector accounting. Coimbra: Coimbra University PressGoogle Scholar
- Gomes P, Fernandes MJ, Carvalho J (2015). Use of performance information by local politicians: a field study in the Portuguese context. In: 15th Biennial CIGAR Conference 2015-04 and 05 June, MaltaGoogle Scholar
- Jorge S, Carvalho J, Fernandes MJ (2008) From cash to accruals in Portuguese local government accounting: what has truly changed? Tékhne 6(10):239–261Google Scholar
- Lacey D, Cuganesan S, Goode S, Jacobs K (2012) Celebrating Adversity: Inter-organizational dependence and public sector performance reporting in the Australian federal police. Public Adm 90:393–411Google Scholar
- Pollitt C (2006) Performance information for democracy: the missing link? Evaluation 12(38):38–55Google Scholar
- Recommended Practice Guideline (2013) Reporting service performance information. IPSASB, RPG (exposure draft 54)Google Scholar
- Rodrigues M (2009) The contribution of performance evaluation to the professionalization of public administration. Paper presented at the IASIA annual conference, Aug. Rio de Janeiro, BrazilGoogle Scholar
- Veledar B, Bašić M, Kapić J (2014) Performance measurement in public sector of transition countries. Bus Syst Res 5:72–83Google Scholar