“Participatory governance” widely refers to the democratic mechanisms which are intended to involve citizens in public policy-making processes. In other words, participatory governance is aimed at establishing a bridge between public institutions and ordinary people, in an attempt to increase the effectiveness and responsiveness of public policy-making activities. Either an interest-based, integrative, or functional logic may inspire participatory governance initiatives. Apart from the inner logic at the basis of these initiatives, the attempt to give a deliberative power to people distinguishes participatory governance.
At the beginning of the third millennium, a gradual shift from democratic government to participatory governance has been figured out by the scientific literature (Gbikpi and Grote 2002...
KeywordsPublic Institution Ordinary People Political Arena Democratic Governance Public Sector Organization
- Ackerman JM (2013) From co-production to co-governance. In: Pestoff V, Brandsen T, Verschuere B (eds) New public governance, the third sector, and co-production. Routledge, New York, pp 101–128Google Scholar
- Cooke W, Kothari U (2001) Participation: the new tyranny? Zed Books, LondonGoogle Scholar
- Crawford SP, Walters D (2013) Citizen-centered governance: the Mayor’s office of new urban mechanics and the evolution of CRM in Boston. Berkman Center Research Publication No. 17. Cambridge, MAGoogle Scholar
- Gaventa J (2002) Towards participatory local governance: six propositions. Curr Issues Int Rural Dev 28:29–35Google Scholar
- Gustafson P, Hertting N (2016) Understanding participatory governance: an analysis of participants’ motives for participation. Am Rev Public Adm. doi:10.1177/0275074015626298. Published ahead of print on 2 June 2016Google Scholar
- Hordijk M, Sara LM, Sutherland C, Scott D (2015) Participatory instruments and practices in urban governance. In: Gupta J, Pfeffer K, Verrest H, Ros-Tonen M (eds) Geographies of urban governance. Springer International, Cham, pp 127–146Google Scholar
- Soomro K, Khan Z, Ludlow D (2016) Participatory governance in smart cities: the urban API case study. Int J Serv Technol Manag. http://www.inderscience.com/info/ingeneral/forthcoming.php?jcode=ijstm. [Published on-line ahead of print]
- Walker PE, Shannon PT (2011) Participatory governance: towards a strategic model. Community Dev J 46(2):63–82Google Scholar