Difficulties in Emotion Regulation Scale
Emotion regulation is a key process aimed to answer flexibly to environmental requests and challenges in a vital way for adaptation. It is a multidimensional process that comprehends monitoring, evaluation, and behavioral modification of psychophysical states (Thompson and Calkins 1996). Research has shown that individuals differ in their habitual use of emotion regulation strategies, and that these differences have consequences for multiple domains of psychological adjustment (Balzarotti et al. 2016). However, in relevant clinical condition, the capacity to regulate emotions appears to be critically compromised (Garofalo and Velotti 2015).
The Difficulties in Emotion Regulation Scale (DERS; Gratz and Roemer 2004) is a self-report measure that evaluates individuals’ levels of difficulties in regulating emotions. The instrument presents 36-item on a 5-point Likert scale of...
- Contardi, A., Imperatori, C., Penzo, I., Del Gatto, C., & Farina, B. (2016). The association among difficulties in emotion regulation, hostility, and empathy in a sample of young Italian adults. Frontiers in Psychology, 7, 1068. doi: 10.3389/fpsyg.2016.01068.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Fowler, J. C., Charak, R., Elhai, J. D., Allen, J. G., Frueh, B. C., & Oldham, J. M. (2014). Construct validity and factor structure of the difficulties in Emotion Regulation Scale among adults with severe mental illness. Journal of Psychiatric Research, 58, 175–180. doi: 10.1016/j.jpsychires.2014.07.029.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Paret, C., Kluetsch, R., Zaehringer, J., Ruf, M., Demirakca, T., Bohus, M., … & Schmahl, C. (2016). Alterations of amygdala-prefrontal connectivity with real-time fMRI neurofeedback in BPD patients. Social Cognitive and Affective Neuroscience, 11(6), 952–960.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Roemer, L., Lee, J. K., Salters-Pedneault, K., Erisman, S. M., Orsillo, S. M., & Mennin, D. S. (2009). Mindfulness and emotion regulation difficulties in generalized anxiety disorder: Preliminary evidence for independent and overlapping contributions. Behavior Therapy, 40(2), 142–154.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Uchida, M., Biederman, J., Gabrieli, J. D., Micco, J., de Los Angeles, C., Brown, A., … & Whitfield-Gabrieli, S. (2015). Emotion regulation ability varies in relation to intrinsic functional brain architecture. Social Cognitive and Affective Neuroscience, 10(12), 1738–1748.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar