Apartheid and Ethics
- 302 Downloads
The Merriam Webster dictionary (2016) defines apartheid as “racial segregation; specifically: a former policy of segregation and political and economic discrimination against non-European groups in the Republic of South Africa: separation, segregation (cultural apartheid), (gender apartheid).” Gender/sexual apartheid is defined by Chesler (2011, p. 6) as “practices which condemn girls and women to a separate and subordinate sub-existence and which turn boys and men into the permanent guardians of their female relatives’ chastity.” Cultural apartheid is more amorphous and can take various forms such as sport, school, and university segregation on racial, ethnic, or religious grounds.
The term apartheid is of South African Afrikaans origin and means “separateness”; the “state of being apart” was a socio-politico-legal system of racial segregation in South...
KeywordsCultural Apartheid Gender Apartheid South African Mining Industry Robben Island Prison Apartheid State
- Chesler P (2011) Phyllis Chesler on Islamic gender apartheid. Phyllis Chesler Organization. https://phyllis-chesler.com/category/islamic-gender. Accessed 5 June 2016
- Merriam Webster on-line dictionary (2016) Apartheid. http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/apartheid. Accessed 20 Apr 2016
- Schroer TL (2012) Civilization, barbarism, and the ethos of self-control among the perpetrators. Ger Stud Rev 35:33–54Google Scholar
- Steadman M (2014) The Australian apartheid. Manch Hist. http://manchesterhistorian.com/2014/the-australian-apartheid/. Accessed 4 June 2016
- Venter JJ (1999) H.F Verwoerd: foundational aspects of his thought. Koers 64:415–442Google Scholar