Space Biomedical Career Pathways
Internships, fellowships, residencies, and other relevant opportunities that provide experiential scientific experiences and mentoring to students and postgraduates, pursuing careers in the space biomedical sciences.
Increasing retention among students and postgraduates in scientific fields has become imperative to ensuring consistent and stable growth within the space biomedical sciences. To address difficulties recruiting a new generation of skilled professionals, many entities have initiated internship programs, fellowships, and residencies intended to generate interest in space biomedical science careers. These interventions are both immersive and intensive, encouraging exceptional young scientists to explore more rigorous and thought-provoking careers.
Undergraduate Research Experiences (UREs)
Government, industry, and academic entities have been instrumental in increasing participation in the space biomedical sciences, through various Undergraduate Research Experiences...
- Adedokun OA, Burgess WD (2011) Uncovering students’ preconceptions of undergraduate research opportunities. J STEM Educ 12:12–22Google Scholar
- Baker M (2015) Massive pool of US biomedical postdocs starts to shrink. Nature. https://doi.org/10.1038/nature.2015.18632
- Cassell G, Slaughter J (2006) The challenge of the new demographics of higher education: increasing women and minority participation in STEM disciplines. Business-Higher Education Forum (BHEF) 2006 Issue Brief, 1–4Google Scholar
- Kendricks KD, Nedunuri KV, Arment AA (2013) Minority student perceptions of the impact of mentoring to enhance academic performance in STEM disciplines. J STEM Educ 14:38–46Google Scholar
- National Academy of Sciences (2007) Rising above the gathering storm: energizing and employing America for a brighter economic future. National Academies Press, Washington, DCGoogle Scholar
- Residency programs and related courses. Aerospace Medical Association. http://www.asma.org/about-asma/careers/aerospace-medicine/residency-programs-related-courses. Accessed 9 Nov 2015