Reviewing European Astropolitics
Since the Renaissance, Europe has been one of the foremost pioneers in political, scientific, and technological development. The creation and implementation of a common space policy within the EU will be vital in the new century. Hitherto countries within the Union have approached space in a diverse manner. Space is becoming gradually an important strategic sector and will be essential to the European strategic independence. This analysis will investigate, how Europe has approached space and cyber development, as well as analyze future implications and prospects. Moreover, we will look at the possible improvements discussed to make the EU more competitive and challenging in the traditional space powers.
KeywordsCyber development Space development Space policy Space technology Cyber democracy Europe Astropolitics
- Caleb, H. (2018). Arianne 5 down to two dozen launches before Ariane 6 takes over. Retrieved on 3 Mar 2018 from http://spacenews.com/ariane-5-down-to-two-dozen-launches-before-ariane-6-takes-over/.
- EC. (2004). First ever ‘Space Council’ paves the way for a European space programme. Retrieved on 3 Mar 2018 from http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_IP-04-1406_en.htm.
- EC. (2017). Space and Security: GOVSATCOMS. Retrieved on 3 Mar 2018 from https://ec.europa.eu/growth/sectors/space/security_en.
- EC. (2018). The space industry. Retrieved on 3 Mar 2018 from http://ec.europa.eu/growth/sectors/space/industry_en.
- EEAS. (2017). Launching the European defense fund. Retrieved on 5 Mar 2018 from https://eeas.europa.eu/sites/eeas/files/launching_the_european_defence_fund.pdf.
- EEAS. (2018). Federica Mogherini’s opening speech at the 9th European Space Council. Retrieved on 26 Feb 2018 from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gy7bUnWrgww.
- ESA. (2010). Galileo services. Retrieved on 3 Mar 2018 from http://www.esa.int/Our_Activities/Navigation/Galileo/Galileo_services.
- ESA. (2013). EGNOS: Navigation. Retrieved on 3 Mar 2018 from http://www.esa.int/Our_Activities/Navigation/EGNOS/EGNOS_Open_Service_available_a_new_era_for_European_navigation_begins_today.
- ESA. (2017a). What is Galileo? Retrieved on 3 Mar 2018 from http://www.esa.int/Our_Activities/Navigation/Galileo/What_is_Galileo.
- ESA. (2017b). Near Earth Objects. Retrieved on 3 Mar 2018 from http://www.esa.int/Our_Activities/Operations/Space_Situational_Awareness/Near-Earth_Objects_-_NEO_Segment.
- ESA. (2017c). GOVSATCOM. Retrieved on 1 Mar 2018 from https://www.esa.int/Our_Activities/Telecommunications_Integrated_Applications/Govsatcom_Precursor.
- ESA. (2018a). ESA Budget for 2018. Retrieved on 1 March from http://www.esa.int/About_Us/Welcome_to_ESA/Funding.
- ESA. (2018b). Soyuz. Retrieved on 3 Mar 2018 from https://www.esa.int/Our_Activities/Space_Transportation/Launch_vehicles/Soyuz.
- ESA SSA. (2018a). Space weather. Retrieved on 3 Mar 2018 from http://swe.ssa.esa.int/ssa-space-weather-activities.
- ESA SSA. (2018b). Space surveillance and tracking. Retrieved on 3 Mar 2018 from http://www.esa.int/Our_Activities/Operations/Space_Situational_Awareness/Space_Surveillance_and_Tracking_-_SST_Segment.
- EU in the USA. (2016). EU-U.S. Space policy conference. Retrieved on 23Feb 2018 from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFmMg3kkLkc.
- IBP. (2013). European space policy and programs handbook (p. 32). Washington, DC: International Business Publications.Google Scholar
- IG [Inside GNSS]. (2012). EU’s Galileo and EGNOS expect 2014–2020 Budget boost of $9.1 billion. Accessed on 3 Mar 2018 from http://www.insidegnss.com/node/3012.
- Machay, M., & Pochylá, J. (2013). European attitudes toward space exploration and exploitation, astropolitics. The International Journal of Space Politics & Policy, 11(3), 203–217.Google Scholar
- McCormick, P. (2015). Space situational awareness in europe: The fractures and the federative aspects of European space efforts, astropolitics. The International Journal of Space Politics & Policy, 13(1), 43–64.Google Scholar
- Parker, A.. (2014). EADS changes name to Airbus. Retrieved on 25 Feb 2018 from https://www.ft.com/content/9e29cfb0-73be-11e3-a0c0-00144feabdc0.
- ProductiehuisEU. (2018). ‘EU 10th conference on European space’ – “More space for more Europe”. Retrieved on 3 Mar 2018 from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwKN-UcphFs.