Reference work entry
Republic of Albania is located on the Balkan Peninsula in Southeast Europe (Figure 1). It is the 139th largest country in the world (28,748 km 2 or 11,100 mi 2) and has a population of 2.9 million. It held its first democratic multiparty elections in 1991 and is a potential candidate for European Union accession following the Thessaloniki European Council of 2003. While its economy is growing, the country remains one of the poorest in Europe, with a considerable informal economy and a lack of infrastructure.
- INSTAT 2014 Arrivals of Foreign Citizens by Mode of Travel 2013. Tirana: Instituti i Statistikes.Google Scholar
- Messina, S. 2013 Esperienze e Casi di Turismo Sostenibile: Le Politiche per il Turismo in Albania. Milan: Franco Angeli.Google Scholar
- MoTCYS 2007a Law No. 9734. Tirana: Tourism Ministry of Tourism, Culture, Youth and Sport of Albania.Google Scholar
- MoTCYS 2007b Tourism Strategy 2007–2013. Tirana: Ministry of Tourism, Culture, Youth and Sport of AlbaniaGoogle Scholar
- WTTC 2014 Travel and Tourism Economic Impact 2014, Albania. London: World Travel and Tourism Council.Google Scholar
© Springer International Publishing Switzerland 2016