Decision Support Systems and Knowledge Management in Education
- 11 Downloads
Decision support grew out of theories of organizational operation and improvement that encouraged the development of technical systems to help organizations act more rapidly and with more confidence. They did this by applying algorithms based on historical data and on curated resources – both data representation and documented organizational responses to similar data patterns in the past (knowledge codified for reuse). There is, therefore, symbiotic and reinforcing relationship between decision support and knowledge management. The operational success of current decisions is then fed back into the system to evaluate the efficacy of the underlying models.
In a period in which large amounts of data from online educational solutions are readily available and analytical approaches are maturing, it is important to think about how to best leverage the results of emerging analysis. This is why...
- Agasisti T, Bowers AJ (2017) Data analytics and decision-making in education: towards the educational data scientist as a key actor in schools and higher education institutions. In Johnes, G., Johnes, J., Agasisti, T., Lopez Torres, L. (Eds.) Handbook of Contemporary Education Economics (p.184–210). Cheltenham UK, Edward Elgar Publishing. ISBN 978-1-78536-906-3Google Scholar
- Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation (2015) Higher education transformation: using data to make better bets at Georgia State University. Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, SeattleGoogle Scholar
- Herold B (2017, July 11) Personalized learning: modest gains, big challenges, RAND study finds. Retrieved February 17, 2018, from http://blogs.edweek.org/edweek/DigitalEducation/2017/07/personalized_learning_research_implementation_RAND.html
- Herold B (2018, February 7) Ed-Tech Company clever to help schools track tech usage – for a cost. Education Week. Retrieved from https://www.edweek.org/ew/articles/2018/01/17/ed-tech-company-clever-to-help-schools-track.html
- Singer N (2017, September 2) Silicon Valley courts brand-name teachers, raising ethics issues. New York Times. Retrieved from https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/02/technology/silicon-valley-teachers-tech.html