Intelligent Storage Systems
The term Intelligent Storage System is a general term used to describe a storage system which has the capability of fully or partially realizing functions that used to be or are usually implemented on host computers.
The idea behind Intelligent Storage Systems may have its origin in the early researches on database machines. Similar ideas have continued to be studied in the academic communities to date, and they have recently been partially applied in commercial storage systems.
The basic ideas of implementing full or partial application code on controller processors of disk drives may be traced back to the database machines which were actively studied in the 1970s and 1980s. The database machine was an approach of special hardware solutions. The early researchers focused on the development of filter processors, which could do selection operations closely to disk drives so as to obtain strong performance...
KeywordsStorage System Storage Device Host Computer Storage Management Active Storage
- 1.Acharya A, Uysal M, Saltz JH. Active disks: programming model, algorithms and evaluation. In: Proceedings of 8th international conference on architectural support for programming languages and operating systems. 1998. p. 81–91.Google Scholar
- 2.ANSI. Information technology – SCSI object-based storage device commands (OSD). standard ANSI/INCITS 400–2004. 2004.Google Scholar
- 4.DeWitt DJ, Gerber RH, Graefe G, Heytens ML, Kumar KB, Muralikrishna M. GAMMA – a high performance dataflow database machine. In: Proceedings of 12th international conference on very large data bases. 1986. p. 228–37.Google Scholar
- 7.Ozkarahan EA, Schuster SA, Smith KC. RAP – an associative processor for database management. In: Proceedings of national computer conference. 1975. p. 379–87.Google Scholar
- 8.Riedel E, Gibson GA, Faloutsos C. Active storage for large-scale data mining and multimedia. In: Proceedings of 24th international conference on very large data bases. 1998. p. 62–73.Google Scholar
- 9.SNIA Storage Management Initiative. Storage management technical specification, Overview Version 1.2.0, Revision 6. 2007.Google Scholar
- 10.SNIA XAM Initiative. XAM Initiative Overview. 2007.Google Scholar
- 11.Su SYW, Lipovski GJ. CASSM: a cellular system for very large data bases. In: Proceedings of 1st international conference on very data bases. 1975. p. 456–72.Google Scholar