Flat surface broken up into polygonal or arcuate pieces in plan view, which may be displaced and rotated relative to their original position.
Rafted plate, fractured plates.
Subtypes by Origin
Ice plates. Ice plates suspended in water can be found in frazil ice. An ice floe is any relatively flat, isolated piece of sea ice 20 m or more across; it is called ice cake if it is less than 20 m across. Circular pieces of ice whose rim is raised due to the pieces striking against one another are called pancake ice (Sechrist et al. 1989).
Lava plates (2.1). Cooling of the surface of lava lakes produces a solid crust and develops fractures in it. The surface of a lava lake can either display a mosaic composed of several cold plates separated by incandescent zones or be quasi-solidified with a few small permanent openings that let the gas escape (Bouche et al. 2010). (2.2) Platy-ridged morphology is observed on the surface of large flood basalts, formed as...
KeywordsDebris Flow Lava Lake Pressure Ridge Pahoehoe Lava Terrestrial Analogue
- Balme MR, Murray JB, Ackley SF, Muller J-P, Kim J-R (2007) Morphological evidence for a sea-ice origin for Elysium Planitia platy terrain. 38th Lunar Planet Sci Conf, abstract #2002, HoustonGoogle Scholar
- Brakenridge GR (1993) Modern shelf ice, equatorial Aeolis quadrangle, Mars. Lunar Planet Sci XXIV:175–176, HoustonGoogle Scholar
- Carter LM, Neish CD, Bussey DBJ, Spudis PD, Patterson GW, Cahill JT, Raney RK (2012) Initial observations of lunar impact melts and ejecta flows with the Mini-RF radar. J Geophys Res 117:E00H09. doi:10.1029/2011JE003911Google Scholar
- Matson DL, Davies AG, Veeder GJ, Rathbun JA, Johnson TV, Castillo JC (2006) Io: Loki Patera as a magma sea. J Geophys Res 111:E09002. doi:10.1029/2006JE002703Google Scholar
- Rathbun JA, Spencer JR, Davies AG, Howell RR, Wilson L (2002) Loki, Io: a periodic volcano. Geophys Res Lett 29. doi:10.1029/2002GL014747Google Scholar
- Rice JW, Parker TJ, Russel AJ, Knudsen O (2002) Morphology of fresh outflow channel deposits on Mars. Lunar Planet Sci XXXIII, abstract #2026, HoustonGoogle Scholar
- Sechrist FS, Fett RW, Perryman DC (eds) (1989) Glossary of ice terms. In: Forecasters handbook for the arctic. Technical report, TR 89-12. Naval Environmental Prediction Research Facility, MontereyGoogle Scholar
- Williams RME, Malin MC (2004) Evidence for late stage fluvial activity in Kasei Valles, Mars. J Geophys Res 109:E06001. doi:10.1029/2003JE002178Google Scholar