Meta Object Facility
The Meta Object Facility (MOF) is an OMG metamodeling and metadata repository standard. It is an extensible model driven integration framework for defining, manipulating and integrating metadata and data in a platform independent manner. MOF-based standards are in use for integrating tools, applications and data .
MOF was developed as a response to a request for proposal (RFP), issued by the OMG Analysis and Design Task Force, for Metadata repository facility (http://www.omg.org/cgi-bin/doc?cf/96-05-02). The purpose of the facility was to support the creation, manipulation, and interchange of meta models.
OMG’s metadata architecture
- 1.Common warehouse metamodel (CWM). Available at http://www.omg.org/technology/documents/formal/cwm.htm (accessed on September 22, 2008).
- 2.ISO/IEC standard 19502:2005 (Information Technology - Meta Object Facility). Available at http://www.iso.org/iso/iso_catalogue/catalogue_tc/catalogue_detail.htm?csnumber=32621
- 3.MOF Query/Views/Transformations. Available at http://www.omg.org/spec/QVT/ (current version 1.0)
- 4.MOF 2.0 versioning and development lifecycle. Available at http://www.omg.org/technology/documents/formal/MOF_version.htm
- 5.OMG’s meta object facility. Available at http://www.omg.org/mof/ (current version 2.0)