Distributed Query Optimization
Query optimization in distributed database systems
Distributed query optimization refers to the process of producing a plan for the processing of a query to a distributed database system. The plan is called a query execution plan. In a distributed database system, schema and queries refer to logical units of data. In a relational distributed relation database system, for instance, logical units of data are relations. These units may be fragmented at the underlying physical level. The fragments, which can be redundant and replicated, are allocated to different database servers in the distributed system.
A query execution plan consists of operators and their allocation to servers. Standard physical operators, usually implementing the data model’s algebra, are used to process data and to consolidate intermediary and final results. Communication operators realize the transfer, sending and receiving, of data from one server to another. In the case of fragmentation the...
- 3.Epstein RS, Stonebraker M, Wong E. Distributed query processing in a relational data base system. In: Proceedings of the ACM SIGMOD International Conference on Management of Data; 1978. p. 169–80.Google Scholar
- 4.Haas LM, Selinger PG, Bertino E, Daniels D, Lindsay BG, Lohman GM, Masunaga Y, Mohan C, Ng P, Wilms PF, Yost RA. R*: a research project on distributed relational dbms. IEEE Database Eng Bull. 1982;5(4):28–32.Google Scholar
- 6.Özsu MT, Valduriez P. Principles of distributed database systems. 2nd ed. 1999.Google Scholar
- 7.Selinger PG, Adiba ME. Access path selection in distributed database management systems. In: Proceedings of the International Conference on Databases; 1980. p. 204–15.Google Scholar
- 8.Stonebraker M, Devine R, Kornacker M, Litwin W, Pfeffer A, Sah A, Staelin C. An economic paradigm for query processing and data migration in mariposa. In: Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference Parallel and Distributed Information Systems; 1994. p. 58–67.Google Scholar
- 10.Wong E. Retrieving dispersed data from SDD-1: a system for distributed databases. In: Proceedings of the 2nd Berkeley Workshop on Distributed Data Management and Computer Networks; 1977. p. 217–35.Google Scholar