Databases and Data Repositories in Computational Neuroscience: Overview
Computational neuroscience research often produces models that help explain empirical data and provide predictions about the biological systems that produce the data. Empirical and theoretical researchers can benefit from resources that facilitate model publication and exchange and provide neuroscience data that informs and contains these existing and future models.
Databases of Computational Models
One category of databases in computational neuroscience is those that focus on computational models. The BioModels database (Li et al. 2010; Vijayalakshmi et al. 2013) is a general repository of computational models of biological processes that includes some models from neuroscience. The SenseLab database, ModelDB, (Migliore et al. 2003) provides a resource for published neuroscience models in a variety of formats. Many of these were developed specifically for simulating the electrophysiological and neurochemical properties of single neurons and networks of...
- Gleeson P, Crook S, Cannon RC, Hines ML, Billings GO, Farinella M, Morse TM, Davison AP, Ray S, Bhalla US, Barnes SR, Dimitrova YD, Silver RA (2010a) NeuroML: a language for describing data driven models of neurons and networks with a high degree of biological detail. PLoS Comput Biol 6(6):e1000815PubMedCentralCrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Gleeson P, Piasini E, Crook S, Cannon R, Steuber V, Jaeger D, Solinas S, DAngelo E, Silver RA (2010b) The open source brain initiative: enabling collaborative modelling in computational neuroscience. BMC Neurosci 13(1):1–2Google Scholar
- Li C, Donizelli M, Rodriguez N, Dharuri H, Endler L, Chelliah V, Li L, He E, Henry A, Stefan MI, Snoep JL, Hucka M, Le Novere N, Laibe C (2010) BioModels database: an enhanced, curated and annotated resource for published quantitative kinetic models. BMC Syst Biol 4:92PubMedCentralCrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Marcus DS, Harms MP, Snyder AZ, Jenkinson M, Wilson JA, Glasser MF, Barch DM, Archie KA, Burgess GC, Ramaratnam M, Hodge M, Horton W, Herrick R, Olsen T, McKay M, House M, Hileman M, Reid E, Harwell J, Coalson T, Schindler T, Elam JS, Curtiss SW, WU-Minn HCP Consortium, Van Essen DC (2013) Human connectome project informatics: quality control, database services, and data visualization. Neuroimage 80:202–219CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Tripathy SJ, Savitskaya J, Burton SD, Urban NN, Gerkin RC (2014) NeuroElectro: a window to the world’s Neuron electrophysiology data. Frontiers in Neuroinformatics 8:40Google Scholar