Connectivity Analysis in Normal and Pathological Brains
Connectivity analysis focuses on the neural network basis of the brain and characterizes topological and other aspects of brain network organization that appear relevant for understanding normal and pathological brain function.
Brains as Networks
The network perspective of the brain integrates aspects of local versus distributed brain function, combining segregation and integration of components. Brain connectivity can be intuitively represented as graphs, where nodes represent neural elements, ranging in scale from individual cells to large-scale neural populations (e.g., cortical areas) and links, representing structural or functional associations between the nodes. This simplifying approach is based on the assumption that neural elements are intrinsically homogeneous and that their interactions are determined by anatomical connections.
KeywordsDegree Distribution Brain Network Neural Element Brain Connectivity Average Short Path
- Buckner RL, Sepulcre J, Talukdar T, Krienen FM, Liu H, Hedden T, Andrews-Hanna JR, Sperling RA, Johnson KA (2009) Cortical hubs revealed by intrinsic functional connectivity: mapping, assessment of stability, and relation to Alzheimer’s disease. J Neurosci 29(6):1860–1873PubMedCentralPubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Chiang A-S, Lin C-Y, Chuang C-C, Chang H-M, Hsieh C-H, Yeh C-W, Shih C-T, Wu J-J, Wang G-T, Chen Y-C, Wu C-C, Chen G-Y, Ching Y-T, Lee P-C, Lin C-Y, Lin H-H, Wu C-C, Hsu H-W, Huang Y-A, Chen J-Y, Chiang H-J, Lu C-F, Ni R-F, Yeh C-Y, Hwang J-K (2011) Three-dimensional reconstruction of brain-wide wiring networks in Drosophila at single-cell resolution. Curr Biol 21(1):1–11PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Friston KJ (2004) Functional and effective connectivity in neuroimaging: a synthesis. Hum Brain Mapp 2(1–2):56–78Google Scholar
- Markov NT, Ercsey-Ravasz MM, Ribeiro Gomes AR, Lamy C, Magrou L, Vezoli J, Misery P, Falchier A, Quilodran R, Gariel MA, Sallet J, Gamanut R, Huissoud C, Clavagnier S, Giroud P, Sappey-Marinier D, Barone P, Dehay C, Toroczkai Z, Knoblauch K, Van Essen DC, Kennedy H (2014) A weighted and directed interareal connectivity matrix for macaque cerebral cortex. Cereb Cortex 24(1):17–36PubMedCentralPubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Sporns O (2011) Networks of the brain. MIT Press, CambridgeGoogle Scholar
- Special issue: connectivity (2012) NeuroImage 62(4). http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/journal/10538119/62
- Special issue: the connectome (2013) Trends Cognit Sci 17(12). http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/journal/13646613/17