Peripheral Nerve Interface Applications: Neuropathic Pain
Neuropathic pain (NP) is a direct consequence of lesions or disease affecting the central or peripheral somatosensory system. Peripheral nerve interfaces are systems for delivery of therapeutic modalities directly to the peripheral nervous system, such as the management of NP.
Pain is a subjective feeling of physical suffering and discomfort from the sensory modality of nociception (pain perception) by activation of terminal receptors. A direct activation of pain pathways can also result in the perception of pain without extrinsic activation of end receptors. Such “neuropathic pain” may be caused by disease or injury. The International Association for the Study of Pain (IASP) defined NP as “pain caused by a lesion or disease of the somatosensory system” (IASP 2011; Jensen et al. 2011).
Patients with NP may have reduced sensation to touch and temperature in affected areas (negative signs and symptoms). They may...
KeywordsBurning Nickel Migraine
- IASP (2011) International Association for the Study of Pain, Taxonomy. http://www.iasp-pain.org/AM/Template.cfm?Section=Pain_Definitions
- Naples GG, Mortimer JT, Scheiner A, Sweeney JD (1988) A spiral nerve cuff electrode for peripheral nerve stimulation. IEEE Trans Biomed Eng 35(11):905–916Google Scholar
- Navarro X, Krueger TB, Lago N, Micera S, Stieglitz T, Dario P (2005) A critical review of interfaces with the peripheral nervous system for the control of neuroprostheses and hybrid bionic systems. J Peripher Nerv Syst 10(3):229–258Google Scholar
- Soin A (2012) Long-term human testing of high-frequency nerve block for amputation pain, Las Vegas, 6–9 Dec 2012Google Scholar
- Stanton-Hicks M (2009) Peripheral nerve stimulation (PNS) for pain peripheral neuralgia and CRPS. In: Krames ES, Peckham PH, Rezai AR (eds) Neuromodulation. Elsevier, LondonGoogle Scholar
- Waisbrod H, Panhans C, Hansen D, Gerbershagen HU (1985) Direct nerve stimulation for painful peripheral neuropathies. J Bone Joint Surg 67(3):470–472Google Scholar
- Devor M (2012) Peripheral neuropathic pain. In: Schmidt RF, Gebhart GF (eds) Encyclopedia of pain. Springer. http://link.springer.com/book/10.1007%2F978-3-642-28753-4
- Simpson BA (2003) Electrical stimulation and the relief of pain, vol 15, Pain research and clinical management. Elsevier, AmsterdamGoogle Scholar
- Slavin KV (2011) Peripheral nerve stimulation, vol 24, Progress in neurological surgery. Karger, BaselGoogle Scholar