Plug-and-Play Macroscopes: Network Workbench (NWB), Science of Science Tool (Sci2), and Epidemiology Tool (EpiC)
From the Greek macros, or “great,” and skopein, or “to observe,” inspired by de Rosnay’s (1975) futurist science writings on macroscope tools
- Data Mining
Extracting implicit information using sophisticated data analysis capabilities and statistical algorithms to discover new patterns and correlations in large datasets
- Information Visualization
Process of transforming data and information that are not inherently spatial, into a visual form allowing the user to observe and understand the information (source: Gershon and Eick, First Symposium on Information Visualization)
The article features three exemplary tools that use the very same core architecture, i.e., algorithm plugins can be exchanged among the tools.
Network Workbench Tool (NWB)
Creation year: 2006.
Authors: Primary investigators are Katy Börner, Albert-László...
Thanks go to the NWB, Sci2, and EpiC teams and particularly to David E. Polley for compiling references and proofreading a draft of the paper. This work is supported in part by the National Science Foundation under IIS- 0513650, SBE-0738111, and IIS-0513650, the National Institutes of Health under RM-07-004 and U01 GM098959, the James S. McDonnell Foundation, the Cyberinfrastructure for Network Science Center, and the School of Informatics and Computing both at Indiana University. Any opinions, findings, and conclusions or recommendations expressed in this material are those of the author(s) and do not necessarily reflect the views of the National Science Foundation.
- Bastian M, Heymann S, Jacomy M (2009) Gephi: an open source software for exploring and manipulating networks. In: International AAAI conference on weblogs and social media, San JoseGoogle Scholar
- Belter C (2012) Visualizing networks of scientific research. Information Today, Inc. (vol May/June)Google Scholar
- Börner K (2010) Atlas of science: visualizing what we know. MIT Press, CambridgeGoogle Scholar
- Börner K (2011) Plug-and-play macroscopes. Commun ACM 54(3):60–69. ACMGoogle Scholar
- Börner K, David EP (2014) Visual insights: a practical guide to making sense of data. MIT Press, Cambridge, MAGoogle Scholar
- Börner K, Chen C, Boyack KW (2003) Visualizing knowledge domains. In: Cronin B (ed) Annual review of information science and technology, vol 37. American Society for Information Science and Technology, Medford, pp 179–255Google Scholar
- Boyack KW, Mane KK, Börner K (2004) Mapping Medline papers, genes and proteins related to melanoma research. In: IEEE international conference on information visualization (IV2004). IEEE Computer Society, London, pp 965–971Google Scholar
- Boyack KW, Klavans R, Paley WB, Börner K (2007) Mapping, illuminating, and interacting with science. In: International conference on computer graphics and interactive techniques: ACM SIGGRAPH 2007 Sketches (vol The Viz Biz, article 2), San Diego, 5–9 AugGoogle Scholar
- Cytoscape Consortium (2008) Cytoscape http://www.cytoscape.org/index.php. Accessed 14 Sept 2009
- de Rosnay J (1975) Le Macroscope. Vers une Vision Globale (du Seuil ed.). Harper & Row Publishers, Inc, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- Gephi (2012) Gephi, an open source graph visualization and manipulation software. https://gephi.org/. Accessed 8 Aug 2012Google Scholar
- Hausmann R, Hidalgo CA, Bustos S, Cosica M, Chung S, Jimenez J, Simoes A, Yildirim MA (2007) The atlas of economic complexity: mapping paths to prosperity. MIT Media LabGoogle Scholar
- Herr II BW, Duhon RJ, Hardy EF, Penumarthy S, Börner K (2008) 113 years of physical review: using flow maps to show temporal and topical citation patterns. In: Proceedings of the 12th information visualization conference (IV 2008), London, UK, pp 421–426Google Scholar
- Hull D, Wolstencroft K, Stevens R, Goble C, Pocock MR, Li P, Oinn T (2006) Taverna: a tool for building and running workflows of services. Nucl Acids Res 34(Web Server Issue):W729–W732. http://nar.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/screenpdf/34/suppl_2/W729. Accessed 25 Sept 2009
- Mane KK, Börner K (2004) Mapping topics and topic bursts in PNAS. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 101(Suppl 1):5183–5185Google Scholar
- Shannon P, Markiel A, Ozier O, Baliga NS, Wang JT, Daniel R, Amin N, Schwikowski B, Ideker T (2003) Cytoscape: a software environment for integrated models of biomolecular interaction networks. Genome Res 13(11):2498–2504. http://genome.cshlp.org/content/13/11/2498.full.pdf+html. Accessed 25 Sept 2009
- Zoss A, Conover M, Börner K (2010) Where are the academic jobs? Interactive exploration of job advertisements in geospatial and topical space. In: Chai S-K, Salerno J, Mabry PL (eds) Paper presented at the advances in social computing: third international conference on social computing, behavioral modeling and prediction, SPB10, Bethesda, 30–31 Mar. Springer, pp 238–247Google Scholar
- More than 40 related tools are listed at http://sci2.wiki.cns.iu.edu/display/SCI2TUTORIAL/8.2+Network+Analysis+and+Other+Tools