BH3 mimetics are a class of drugs designed to tip the balance of pro- and anti-apoptotic factors within a cell to favor apoptosis. They bind within a specific groove of anti-apoptotic Bcl-2 family survival factors in a similar manner to native proteins within the cell that regulate these factors. This primes the cell for apoptosis. Several small molecule BH3 mimetics are currently undergoing evaluation in clinical trials.
KeywordsABT-737 Anti-apoptotic Bcl-2 family Bad Bcl-2 ABT-737 and ABT-263 Assessment B-cell lymphoma and mantle cell lymphoma BH3-only mimetics BH3-only proteins Clinical trials CLL and ALL Gossypol Hydrocarbon stapling Mcl-1 overexpression Navitoclax Obatoclax Preclinical studies Role in cancer BH3-only proteins Activators Chemotherapy Overall survival in glioblastoma multiforme Predictors of survival Sensitizers Therapeutics Bid Bim Pro-apoptotic Bcl-2 proteins Puma and Noxa
- Chiappori AA, Schreeder MT, Moezi MM, Stephenson JJ, Blakely J, Salgia R, Chu QS, Ross HJ, Subramaniam DS, Schnyder J, et al. A phase I trial of pan-Bcl-2 antagonist obatoclax administered as a 3-h or a 24-h infusion in combination with carboplatin and etoposide in patients with extensive-stage small cell lung cancer. Br J Cancer. 2012;106:839–45.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- DeVita VT, Lawrence TS, Rosenberg SA. Cancer: principles & practice of oncology: primer of the molecular biology of cancer. Philadelphia: Wolters Kluwer Health/Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2011.Google Scholar
- Heist RS, Fain J, Chinnasami B, Khan W, Molina JR, Sequist LV, Temel JS, Fidias P, Brainerd V, Leopold L, et al. Phase I/II study of AT-101 with topotecan in relapsed and refractory small cell lung cancer. J Thorac Oncol Off Publ Int Assoc Study Lung Cancer. 2010;5:1637–43.Google Scholar
- Roberts AW, Seymour JF, Brown JR, Wierda WG, Kipps TJ, Khaw SL, Carney DA, He SZ, Huang DC, Xiong H, et al. Substantial susceptibility of chronic lymphocytic leukemia to BCL2 inhibition: results of a phase I study of navitoclax in patients with relapsed or refractory disease. J Clin Oncol Off J Am Soc Clin Oncol. 2012;30:488–96.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Rudin CM, Hann CL, Garon EB, Ribeiro de Oliveira M, Bonomi PD, Camidge DR, Chu Q, Giaccone G, Khaira D, Ramalingam SS, et al. Phase II study of single-agent navitoclax (ABT-263) and biomarker correlates in patients with relapsed small cell lung cancer. Clin Cancer Res Off J Am Assoc Cancer Res. 2012;18:3163–9.CrossRefGoogle Scholar