Digital Health Coaching
Digital health coaching is an interventional process that uses digital technologies, typically in conjunction with human coaching, to help patients identify and work toward behavior change goals that promote health and help manage and prevent disease.
Digital health coaching grew out of the tradition of health and wellness coaching. Like traditional, face-to-face health coaching, digital health coaching is an interventional process that assists patients in changing health behaviors to achieve better health outcomes. This patient-centered interventional process that uses guided self-discovery to help patients draw from their values to identify health behavior change goals and then drives the change process by assisting patients with learning (e.g., content education; behavior change...
References and Further Reading
- Bucher, A., & O’Day, R. (2014). The triple aim’s missing link: Meaningful engagement for patients with chronic conditions. Managed Care Outlook, 27(15).Google Scholar
- Klasnja, P., Consolvo, S., & Pratt, W. (2011). How to evaluate technologies for health behavior change in HCI research. Proceedings of the SIGCHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems. Association for Computing Machinery: Vancouver, BC, Canada. p. 3063–3072.Google Scholar
- Mohr, D. C., Burns, M. N., Schueller, S. M., Clarke, G., & Klinkman, M. (2013a). Behavioral intervention technologies: Evidence review and recommendations for future research in mental health. General Hospital Psychiatry, 35(4), 332–338. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.genhosppsych.2013.03.008.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Mohr, D. C., Duffecy, J., Ho, J., Kwasny, M., Cai, X., Burns, M. N., & Begale, M. (2013b). A randomized controlled trial evaluating a manualized TeleCoaching protocol for improving adherence to a web-based intervention for the treatment of depression. PloS One, 8(8), e70086. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0070086.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Smith, L. L., Lake, N. H., Simmons, L. A., Perlman, A., Wroth, S., & Wolever, R. Q. (2013). Integrative health coach training: A model for shifting the paradigm toward patient-centricity and meeting new national prevention goals. Global Advances in Health and Medicine, 2(3), 66–74. https://doi.org/10.7453/gahmj.2013.034.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Wolever, R. Q., Simmons, L. A., Sforzo, G. A., Dill, D., Kaye, M., Bechard, E. M., et al. (2013). A systematic review of the literature on health and wellness coaching: Defining a key behavioral intervention in healthcare. Global Advances in Health and Medicine, 2(4), 38–57. https://doi.org/10.7453/gahmj.2013.042.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar