Living reference work entry
Thrombospondin-1 (TSP1) was first characterized in 1971 by Baenziger et al. as a glycoprotein released from the α-granules of platelets in response to treatment with thrombin (Roberts and Lau 2011). This large protein consists of three 150 kDa disulfide-linked subunits and is highly conserved among vertebrate species (Carlson et al. 2008). Multi-sequence analysis has generated a phylogenetic tree for the evolution of modern TSPs (Bentley and Adams 2010). Duplication of the gene encoding a primordial TSP that is currently found in insects initiated the evolution of two subfamilies containing five members in modern vertebrates (Bentley and Adams 2010). The central feature of all TSPs is the presence of a carboxy-terminal signature domain containing EGF-like modules and seven TSP-type Ca-binding repeats, which wrap around the C-terminal lectin-like globular domain. This domain is about 650 amino acids long and is...
KeywordsObesity Migration Recombination Superoxide Heparin
- Kaur S, Roberts DD. Divergent modulation of normal and neoplastic stem cells by thrombospondin-1 and CD47 signaling. Int J Biochem Cell Biol. 2016; 81:184–194. doi: 10.1016/j.biocel.2016.05.005.
- Kaur S, Martin-Manso G, Pendrak ML, Garfield SH, Isenberg JS, Roberts DD. Thrombospondin-1 inhibits VEGF receptor-2 signaling by disrupting its association with CD47. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:38923–32.Google Scholar
- Labrousse-Arias D, Castillo-González R, Rogers NM, Torres-Capelli M, Barreira B, Aragonés J, Cogolludo Á, Isenberg JS, Calzada MJ. HIF-2α-mediated induction of pulmonary thrombospondin-1 contributes to hypoxia-driven vascular remodelling and vasoconstriction. Cardiovasc Res. 2016;109:115–30.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Rogers NM, Yao M, Novelli EM, Thomson AW, Roberts DD, Isenberg JS. Activated CD47 regulates multiple vascular and stress responses: implications for acute kidney injury and its management. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2012;303:F1117–25. doi: 10.1152/ajprenal.00359.2012.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Soto-Pantoja DR, Kaur S, Roberts DD. CD47 signaling pathways controlling cellular differentiation and responses to stress. Crit Rev Biochem Mol Biol. 2015;24:1–19.Google Scholar
© Springer Science+Business Media LLC (outside the USA) 2016