Steroidogenic factor 1 (SF-1), also called Adrenal 4 binding protein (Ad4BP), was originally discovered in the early 1990s by Drs. Parker and Morohashi as a regulator of steroid hydroxylases in adrenal glands (Lala et al. 1992; Morohashi et al. 1992). It is a transcription factor, member of the nuclear receptors superfamily. Official designation of the gene encoding for SF-1 is NR5a1, although in the literature the name SF-1 is still predominantly used, and therefore, we will use this designation throughout this chapter.
Numerous studies have shown wide role of SF-1 in the endocrine development and function beyond regulation of steroid hydroxylases. In particularly, studies with SF-1 knockout (SF-1 KO) mice have shown the importance of SF-1 for adrenal and gonadal development, development of the ventromedial nucleus of the hypothalamus (VMH), and spleen and pituitary gonadotropin-producing...
KeywordsCholesterol Zinc Obesity Migration Depression
- Ferlin A, Santa Rocca M, Vinanzi C, Ghezzi M, Di Nisio A, Foresta C. Mutational screening of NR5A1 gene encoding steroidogenic factor 1 in cryptorchidism and male factor infertility and functional analysis of seven undescribed mutations. Fertil Steril. 2015;104(1):163–9. e1.Google Scholar
- Janse F, Larissa M, Duran KJ, Kloosterman WP, Goverde AJ, Lambalk CB, et al. Limited contribution of NR5A1 (SF-1) mutations in women with primary ovarian insufficiency (POI). Fertil Steri. 2012;97(1):141–6. e2.Google Scholar
- Köhler B, Lin L, Mazen I, Cetindag C, Biebermann H, Akkurt I, et al. The spectrum of phenotypes associated with mutations in steroidogenic factor 1 (SF-1, NR5A1, Ad4BP) includes severe penoscrotal hypospadias in 46, XY males without adrenal insufficiency. Eur J Endocrinol. 2009;161(2):237–42.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Shima Y, Zubair M, Komatsu T, Oka S, Yokoyama C, Tachibana T, et al. Pituitary homeobox 2 regulates adrenal4 binding protein/steroidogenic factor-1 gene transcription in the pituitary gonadotrope through interaction with the intronic enhancer. Mol Endocrinol. 2008;22(7):1633–46.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Zubair M, Ishihara S, Oka S, Okumura K, Morohashi K. Two-step regulation of Ad4BP/SF-1 gene transcription during fetal adrenal development: initiation by a Hox-Pbx1-Prep1 complex and maintenance via autoregulation by Ad4BP/SF-1. Mol Cell Biol. 2006;26(11):4111–21.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar