SCD (Stearoyl-CoA Desaturase)
Living reference work entry
Stearoyl-CoA desaturase (SCD), also known as delta-9-desaturase, is a membrane-bound enzyme that together with NADH-cytochrome b5 reductase and cytochrome b5 introduces a cis double bond in palmitoyl-CoA and stearoyl-CoA between their ninth and tenth carbon atom counted from the carboxyl site (Fig. 1).
KeywordsDesaturated Fatty Acid SCD1 mRNA Liver Insulin Resistance Fatty Acid Balance Proper Fatty Acid
These keywords were added by machine and not by the authors. This process is experimental and the keywords may be updated as the learning algorithm improves.
- Baranowski M, Zabielski P, Blachnio-Zabielska AU, Harasim E, Chabowski A, Gorski J. Insulin-sensitizing effect of LXR agonist T0901317 in high-fat fed rats is associated with restored muscle GLUT4 expression and insulin-stimulated AS160 phosphorylation. Cellular Physiol Biochem. 2014;33:1047–57. doi:10.1159/000358675.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Jacobs AA, Dijkstra J, Liesman JS, Vandehaar MJ, Lock AL, van Vuuren AM, et al. Effects of short- and long-chain fatty acids on the expression of stearoyl-CoA desaturase and other lipogenic genes in bovine mammary epithelial cells. Animal. 2013;7:1508–16. doi:10.1017/S175173111300061X.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Matsui H, Yokoyama T, Sekiguchi K, Iijima D, Sunaga H, Maniwa M, et al. Stearoyl-CoA desaturase-1 (SCD1) augments saturated fatty acid-induced lipid accumulation and inhibits apoptosis in cardiac myocytes. PLoS One. 2012;7:e33283. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0033283.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Polo-Hernandez E, Tello V, Arroyo AA, Dominguez-Prieto M, de Castro F, Tabernero A, et al. Oleic acid synthesized by stearoyl-CoA desaturase (SCD-1) in the lateral periventricular zone of the developing rat brain mediates neuronal growth, migration and the arrangement of prospective synapses. Brain Res. 2014;1570:13–25. doi:10.1016/j.brainres.2014.04.038.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Yao D, Luo J, He Q, Shi H, Li J, Wang H, et al. SCD1 Alters Long-Chain Fatty Acid (LCFA) composition and its expression is directly regulated by SREBP-1 and PPARgamma 1 in dairy goat mammary cells. J Cell Physiol. 2016. doi:10.1002/jcp.25469.Google Scholar
© Springer Science+Business Media LLC 2016