Aqueous Rechargeable Lithium Batteries (ARLB)
A rechargeable battery using lithium intercalation (insertion) compound(s) as one or two electrodes based on redox reactions and lithium-containing aqueous solution as electrolyte. During the charge and discharge process, redox reactions, not absorption and desorption, happen together with insertion/removal of lithium ions and gain/loss of electrons. When one electrode utilizes the absorption/desorption, it is called as hybrid supercapacitors instead of batteries.
It is a rechargeable battery and consists of the following main materials: positive electrode, negative electrode, electrolytes, and separators. However, in some reports, the positive electrode and negative electrode are called as cathode and anode, respectively. Scientifically speaking, this calling is not pertinent.
Positive Electrode Materials
- 1.Wu L, Dahn JR, Wainwright DS (1994) Rechargeable lithium batteries with aqueous electrolytes. Science 264:1115–1117Google Scholar
- 2.Wang GJ, Fu LJ, Zhao NH, Yang LC, Wu YP, Wu HQ (2007) An aqueous rechargeable lithium battery with good cycling performance. Angew Chem Int Ed 46:295–297Google Scholar
- 3.Wu YP, Dai XB, Ma JQ, Cheng YJ (2004) Lithium ion batteries: applications and practice. Chemical Industry Press, BeijingGoogle Scholar
- 4.Tang W, Zhu YS, Hou YY, Liu LL, Wu YP, Loh KP, Zhu K (2013) Aqueous rechargeable lithium batteries as an energy storage system of superfast charging like filling gasoline. Energy Environ Sci 5:2093–2104Google Scholar
- 5.Wang FX, Xiao SY, Chang Z, Yang YQ, Wu YP (2013) Nanoporous LiNi1/3Co1/3Mn1/3O2 as an ultra-fast charge cathode material for aqueous rechargeable lithium batteries. Chem Commun 49: 9209–9211Google Scholar
- 6.Qu QT, Fu LJ, Zhan XY, Samuelis D, Li L, Guo WL, Li ZH, Wu YP, Maier J (2011) High-rate and long-life LiMn2O4 cathode for aqueous rechargeable lithium batteries. Energy Environ Sci 4:3985–3990Google Scholar
- 7.Tang W, Liu LL, Zhu YS, Sun H, Wu YP, Zhu K (2012) An aqueous rechargeable lithium battery of excellent rate capability based on nanocomposite of MoO3 coated with PPy and LiMn2O4. Energy Environ Sci 5:6909–6913Google Scholar
- 8.Tang W, Gao XW, Zhu YS, Yue YB, Shi Y, Wu YP, Zhu K (2012) Coated hybrid of V2O5 nanowires with MWCNTs by polypyrrole as anode material for aqueous rechargeable lithium battery with excellent cycling performance. J Mater Chem 22:20143–20145Google Scholar
- 9.Tang W, Hou YY, Wang FX, Liu LL, Wu YP, Zhu K (2013) LiMn2O4 nanotube as cathode material of second-level charge capability for aqueous rechargeable batteries. Nano Lett 13:2036–2040Google Scholar
- 10.Wang XJ, Hou YY, Zhu YS, Wu YP, Holze R (2013) An aqueous rechargeable lithium battery using coated Li metal as anode. Sci Rep 3:1401Google Scholar
- 11.Wang XJ, Qu QT, Hou YY, Wang FX, Wu YP (2013) An aqueous rechargeable lithium battery of high energy density based on coated Li metal and LiCoO2. Chem Commun 49:6179–6181Google Scholar