Encyclopedic Dictionary of Polymers

2011 Edition
| Editors: Jan W. Gooch


  • Jan W. Gooch
Reference work entry
DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/978-1-4419-6247-8_985

\ba-fәl\ vt [prob. alter. of ME (Sc) bawchillen to denounce, discredit publicly] (ca. 1590) A plug or other device inserted in a flow channel to restrict the flow or change its direction. A metal piece so placed in a rollercoater pan to direct the stream or flow of paint to the pick-up roller. Also used to direct air currents in an oven. (Perry RH, Green DW (1997) Perry’s chemical engineer’s handbook, 7th edn. McGraw-Hill, New York).

Copyright information

© Springer Science+Business Media, LLC 2011

Authors and Affiliations

  • Jan W. Gooch
    • 1
  1. 1.AtlantaUSA