Encyclopedic Dictionary of Polymers

2011 Edition
| Editors: Jan W. Gooch

Ribbon Blender

  • Jan W. Gooch
Reference work entry
DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/978-1-4419-6247-8_10044

n A type of low-intensity mixer comprising helical, ribbon-shaped blades supported by spokes from the horizontal shaft, with the blade edges fitting fairly closely to the lower half of the U-shaped shell of the mixer. The shell is usually jacketed for temperature control and the shaft, spokes and blades may also be cored for circulation of heat-transfer liquid (usually water). They are used in the plastics industry mostly for cooling dry blends such as PVC extrusion and calendering compounds discharged from high-intensity mixers before storage and/or shipment.

Copyright information

© Springer Science+Business Media, LLC 2011

Authors and Affiliations

  • Jan W. Gooch
    • 1
  1. 1.AtlantaUSA