A distinctive pattern of cognitive, and/or behavioral symptoms in an individual, arising from underlying psychobiological dysfunction and causing significant distress, impairment, or an increased risk of death, pain, disability, or an important loss of freedom (American Psychiatric Association, 2000). Psychological disorders do not include culturally sanctioned responses to life events (e.g., feeling sad after a significant loss).
The term “psychological disorder” is often used interchangeably with similar terms, including “mental disorder” and “psychiatric illness.” It may be a preferable term to “mental disorder,” which evokes a mind/body dualism that is inconsistent with modern theories that emphasize the biopsychosocial origins of disease (Fulford, Thornton, & Graham 2006). The term “psychological disorder” is broad, encompassing both disorders...
References and Readings
- American Psychiatric Association. (2000). Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders, Fourth Edition, Text revision. Washington, DC: American Psychiatric Association. See also http://www.psych.org/mainmenu/research/dsmiv.aspx
- American Psychiatric Association. (2011). DSM-5 Development Page. Retrieved from http://www.dsm5.org/Pages/Default.aspx
- Fulford, K. W. M., Thornton, T., & Graham, G. (2006). Oxford textbook of philosophy and psychiatry. Oxford: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Ladwig, K. H., Baumert, J., Marten-Mittag, B., Kolb, C., Zrenner, B., & Schmitt, C. (2008). Posttraumatic stress symptoms and predicted mortality in patients with implantable cardioverter-defibrillators: results from the prospective living with an implanted cardioverter-defibrillator study. Archives of General Psychiatry, 65, 1324–1330.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- McHugh, P. R., & Slavney, P. R. (1998). The Perspectives of Psychiatry, 2nd ed. Baltimore: The Johns Hopkins University Press.Google Scholar
- World Health Organization. (2007). International statistical classification of diseases and related health problems, 10th Revision, version for 2007. Retrieved January 1, 2011 from http://apps.who.int/classifications/apps/icd/icd10online/