Discovery of Tribbles Genes
Advances in large scale sequencing projects (both cDNA and genome sequencing) combined with the advent of high throughput analytical approaches to detect the targets of certain genes and the molecular consequences of cellular stimulation led to the identification of a number of genes previously unknown to science. A good example of such genes is the tribbles family, where a number of independent strands of research recognized these genes as important regulators and/or targets of cellular function in a range of biological systems.
The name tribbles (TRIB) dates back to a string of papers that published the identification of a novel gene, controlling cell division in early Drosophila development. These reports defined an important regulatory role for tribbles in cell cycle progression during the closure of the ventral furrow (Grosshans and Wieschaus 2000), gastrulation (Seher and Leptin 2000), and...
- Docherty L, Kiss-Toth E. SKIP-2/Tribbles-2. AfCS-Nat Mol Pages. 2010. doi:10.1038/mp.a003643.01.Google Scholar
- Kathiresan S, Melander O, Guiducci C, Surti A, Burtt NP, Rieder MJ, Cooper GM, Roos C, Voight BF, Havulinna AS, Wahlstrand B, Hedner T, Corella D, Tai ES, Ordovas JM, Berglund G, Vartiainen E, Jousilahti P, Hedblad B, Taskinen MR, Newton-Cheh C, Salomaa V, Peltonen L, Groop L, Altshuler DM, Orho-Melander M. Six new loci associated with blood low-density lipoprotein cholesterol, high-density lipoprotein cholesterol or triglycerides in humans. Nat Genet. 2008;40:189–97.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Kiss-Toth E. SKIP-3/Tribbles-3. AfCS-Nat Mol Pages. 2005. doi:10.1038/mp.a003644.01.Google Scholar
- Kiss-Toth E. SKIP-1/Tribbles-1. AfCS-Nat Mol Pages. 2007. doi:10.1038/mp.a003642.01.Google Scholar
- Tai ES, Sim XL, Ong TH, Wong TY, Saw SM, Aung T, Kathiresan S, Orho-Melander M, Ordovas JM, Tan JT, Seielstad M. Polymorphisms at newly identified lipid-associated loci are associated with blood lipids and cardiovascular disease in an Asian Malay population. J Lipid Res. 2009;50:514–20.PubMedGoogle Scholar