Mexico, Pacific Coast
The Pacific coastline of Mexico is about 6,500 km long, including the coasts of Baja California. The northern part of Mexico has a warm temperate climate, becoming arid in Baja California and Sonora under the influence of NE trade winds. To the south the climate becomes tropical, with high rainfall (about 2,000 mm/year) in the coastal fringe. Ocean swell comes in to the Pacific coast, but the NE trade winds blow offshore. There are occasional hurricanes.
This coast is subject to seasonal changes in the direction of wave approach and resulting longshore drifting. In winter (October–March) NW waves generate southeastward drifting, while in summer (April–September) SW waves generate northward drifting. Tide ranges are larger (0.8–1.6 m) during the solstices, and reduced (0.2–0.4 m) in the equinoxes. Tide ranges increase into the Gulf of California – Bahia San Quentin has 1.4 m, Puerto San Bartolomé 2.5 m, the Gulf of California La Paz has 1.3 m and Santa Rosalia 1.4 m. To...
KeywordsPacific Coast Coastal Lagoon Tectonic Unit Continental Collision Tectonic Uplift
- Ayala-Castanares A, Maplica-Cruz VM, Gutierrez-Estrada M (1980) Marine geology of the Yavaros Region, Sonora, Mexico. An Centro Cienc del Mar y Limnologia Univ Nal Auton Mexico (in Spanish) 7(2):275–289Google Scholar
- Carranza-Edwards A, Gutierrez-Estrada AM, Rodriguez-Torres R (1975) Morphotectonic units of the Mexican coast. An Centro Cienc del Mar y Limnologia Univ Nal Auton Mexico (in Spanish) 2(1):81–88Google Scholar
- Gutierrez-Estrada M (1971) Physiography and sedimentology of the delta of the Rio Balsas, Michoacan, Mexico. Mexico Univ Nal Auton Inst Geol Bol (in Spanish) 93:1–58Google Scholar
- Gutierrez-Estrada M (1972) Preliminary classification of the Mexican coast (in Spanish). Union Geofisica Mexicana, Reunion Anual, 1972, Programas y ResumenesGoogle Scholar
- Murray GE (1961) Geology of the Atlantic and Gulf coastal province of North America. Harper, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- Shepard FP (1973) Submarine geology. Harper & Row, New YorkGoogle Scholar