Under the heading of informal logic are comprehended several expressions of the practical turn in logic: from technical, artificial, and formalized language to natural language; from deduction and demonstration in science to argumentation in everyday life; from scientific and theoretical models of reasoning in search of laws and principles to practical patterns of reasoning leading to action; and from pure to applied logic to arguments. Although there are differing emphases among them, all these expressions, namely, theory of argumentation, practical logic, applied logic, and critical thinking, share a common ground with informal logic.
Informal logic is a young discipline that emerged during the last quarter of the twentieth century. But in another sense, it is one of the oldest for its themes and concerns are somehow the same as those found in a substantial part...
- Blair, J. A. (2006). Informal logic’s influence on philosophy instruction. Informal Logic, 26(3), 259–286.Google Scholar
- Gabbay, D. M., Johnson, R. H., Ohlbach, H. J., & Woods, J. (2002). Handbook of the logic of the inference and argument. The turn towards the practical. Amsterdam: Elsevier Science B. V.Google Scholar
- Groarke, L. Informal logic. (2011). In E. N. Zalta (Ed.), The Stanford encyclopedia of philosophy (Summer 2012 Edn.), http://plato.stanford.edu/archives/sum2012/entries/logic-informal/
- Jacquette, D. (2007). On the relation of informal to symbolic logic. In D. Jacquette (Ed.), Handbook of the philosophy of science. Philosophy of logic. Amsterdam: Elsevier Science B. V.Google Scholar
- Johnson, R. H. (2006). Making sense of “Informal Logic”. Informal Logic, 26(3), 231–258.Google Scholar
- Johnson, R. H., Blair, J. A., & Hoaglund, J. (1996). The rise of informal logic. Newport News: Vale Press.Google Scholar
- van Eemeren, F. H., Grootendorst, R., Henkemans, F. S., Blair, J. A., Johnson, R. H., Krabbe, E. C. W., Plantin, C., Walton, D. N., Willard, C. A., Woods, J., & Zarefsky, D. (1996). Fundamentals of argumentation theory: A handbook of historical backgrounds and contemporary developments. Mahwah: Erlbaum.Google Scholar
- Vega Reñón, L. (2007). Si de argumentar se trata. Barcelona: Montesinos.Google Scholar
- Walton, D. (2006). Fundamentals of critical argumentation. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.Google Scholar
- Woods, J. (2004). The death of argument: Fallacies in agent-based reasoning. Dordrecht/Boston: Kluwer.Google Scholar