The Bølling-Allerød interstadial is the initial warm phase during the Weichselian late glacial that is followed by the cold Younger Dryas stadial.
The Weichselian late glacial, often referred to as last glacial-interglacial transition or last termination (ca. 13,000–10,000 14C yr bp), was a period of rapid climate change. The late glacial is classically sub-divided into a series of stadials named after the occurrence of the characteristic arctic-alpine plant species Dryas octopetala, separated by interstadials named after the type localities Bølling and Allerød in Denmark. The biostratigraphic sub-division has been extensively used in northwest Europe, usually in a chronostratigraphic sense, and is still widely used globally.
Hartz and Milthers (1901) showed that, based on deposits in a clay-pit near Allerød (Denmark), a climatic warming had occurred during the late glacial. Between clay layers containing mountain avens (Dryas octopetala) and reindeer fossils, an...
- Björck, S., Walker, M.J.C., Cwynar, L.C., Johnsen, S., Knudsen, K.-L., Lowe, J.J., Wohlfarth, B., 1998. An event stratigraphy for the Last Termination in the North Atlantic region based on the Greenland ice-core record: A proposal by the INTIMATE group. J. Quaternary Sci., 13, 283–292.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Hartz, N., and Milthers, V., 1901. Det senglaciale ler i Allerød Teglværksgrav. Meddelelser fra Dansk Geologisk Forening, 2, 31–60.Google Scholar
- Iversen, J., 1942. En pollenanalytisk Tidsfaestelse af Ferskvandslagene ved Nørre Lyngby. Meddelelser fra Dansk Geologisk Forening, 10, 130–151.Google Scholar
- Jessen, K., 1935. The composition of the forests in Northern Europe in epipalaeolithic time. Biologiske Meddelser, 12(1), 64pp.Google Scholar
- Lowe, J.J., and Gray, J.M., 1980. The stratigraphic subdivision of the Lateglacial of north-west Europe. In Lowe, J.J., Gray, J.M., and Robinson, J.E. (eds.), Studies in the Lateglacial of North-west Europe. Oxford: Pergamon, pp. 157–175.Google Scholar
- Stuiver, M., Reimer, P.J., Bard, E., Beck, W., Burr, G.S., Hughen, K.A., Kromer, B., McCormac, G., Van der Plicht, J., and Spurk, M., 1998. INTCAL98 radiocarbon age calibration 24,000-0 cal BP. Radiocarbon, 40, 1041–1083.Google Scholar
- Van der Hammen, T., 1951. Late-Glacial flora and periglacial phenomena in The Netherlands. PhD Thesis, Leiden, Geologisch en Mineralogisch Instituut der Rijksuniversiteit te Leiden. Leidse Geologische Mededelingen, 17, 71–183.Google Scholar