Glacier hazards are natural Earth processes associated with alpine glaciers, ice caps, or ice sheets that threaten people or property.
About 10% of Earth’s surface is covered by glacier ice, and about 99% of this glacier cover is in Greenland and Antarctica. The other 1% comprises ice fields, ice caps, and cirque, valley, and piedmont glaciers, mainly in mountains of northwest North America, Arctic Canada, and Asia. Glaciers provide many benefits or natural service functions. For example, meltwater from alpine glaciers augments stream runoff during summer, which is important for agriculture, municipal water supply, and hydroelectric power generation. However, processes associated with glaciers can also be hazardous. In addition, some glacier hazards may be amplified by climate change.
Glaciers, climate change, and sea-level rise
Glaciers around the world have grown and receded in response to climate change throughout the Holocene. Most alpine glaciers achieved...
- Church, M., 1983. Pattern of instability in a wandering gravel bed channel. In Collinson, J. D., and Lewin, J. (eds.), Modern and Ancient Fluvial Systems. Oxford: Blackwell Scientific Publications. International Association of Sedimentologists Special Publication, Vol. 6, pp. 169–180.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Clague, J. J., and Evans, S. G., 1994. Formation and Failure of Natural Dams in the Canadian Cordillera. Geological Survey of Canada Bulletin 464.Google Scholar
- Evans, S. G., Clague, J. J., 1999. Rock avalanches on glaciers in the Coast and St. Elias Mountains, British Columbia. In Proceedings, 13th Annual Vancouver Geotechnical Conference. Richmond, BC: Vancouver/BiTech Publishers, pp. 115–123.Google Scholar
- Gruber, S., Hoelzle, M., and Haeberli, W., 2004. Permafrost thaw and destabilization of alpine rock walls in the hot summer of 2003. Geophysical Research Letters, 31(13), doi:10.1029/2004GL020051.Google Scholar
- Larsen, C. F., Motyka, R. J., Arendt, A. A., Echelmeyer, K. A., and Geissler, P. E., 2007. Glacier changes in southeast Alaska and Northwest British Columbia and contribution to sea level rise. Journal of Geophysical Research, 112, F01007, doi:10.1029/2006JF00586.Google Scholar
- Wilkie, K., and Clague, J. J., 2009. Fluvial response to Holocene glacier fluctuations in the Nostetuko River valley, southern Coast Mountains, British Columbia. In Knight, J., and Harrison, S. (eds.), Periglacial and Paraglacial Processes and Environments. London: Geological Society. Geological Society Special Publications, Vol. 320, pp. 199–218.Google Scholar
- Zhang, Y., Chen, W., and Riseborough, D. W., 2006. Temporal and spatial changes of permafrost in Canada since the end of the Little Ice Age. Journal of Geophysical Research, 111(D22), doi:10.1029/2011GL046583.Google Scholar