Intelligent Vehicle Potential and Benefits
In this chapter, we will examine how the development of ITS can help solve major problems of humanity which are energy, climate change, congestion, and safety.
The coming decades will accompany a mobility revolution and will see the emergence of a new relationship of citizens with their automobile.
The concept of sustainable mobility covers deployment of electro-mobility but also new forms of relationships between citizens and nature.
Information and communication technologies will help promote multimodality, ticketing, car sharing, carpooling, PRTs, and progressive automation of driving through the dissemination of Advanced Driver Assistances Systems (ADAS) and cooperative systems (V2V and V2I).
KeywordsPublic Transport Safety Distance Adaptive Cruise Control Advance Driver Assistance System Human Driver
- Laurgeau Claude : Le siécle de la voiture intelligente – Presse des Mines, Paris. ISBN:978-2-911256-10-3Google Scholar
- Towards a European road safety area: policy orientations on road safety 2011–2020. http://ec.europa.eu/transport/road_safety/pdf/com_59_en.pdf
- Headway. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Headway
- Car sharing and car pooling. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Car_sharing
- Personal rapid transit (PRT). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personal_rapid_transit
- Demand responsive transport. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demand_responsive_transport
- Aging/Handicapped society. http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/innovation/tdc-summary-12900-12927e-920.htm