Lane Change Assistance
More than 5% of all accidents involving injury to people take place as the result of a lane change. Therefore, it is sensible to provide the driver with a lane change assistant in order to provide support in this driving maneuver.
ISO standard 17387 “Lane Change Decision Aid System” differentiates between three different types of system: The “Blind Spot Warning” monitors the blind spot on the left and right adjacent to the driver’s own vehicle. The “Closing Vehicle Warning” monitors the adjacent lanes to the left and right behind the driver’s own vehicle in order to detect vehicles approaching from behind. The “Lane Change Warning” combines the functions of “Blind Spot Warning” and “Closing Vehicle Warning.”
Almost all major vehicle manufacturers are now offering systems that assist the driver to change lanes. Systems with “Blind Spot Warning” are available from Ford, Jaguar, Mercedes-Benz, Nissan/Infiniti, Peugeot, and Volvo. Systems with “Lane Change Warning” are available from Audi, BMW, Mazda, and VW. All vehicle manufacturers use an optical display in or near to the exterior mirrors in order to show information for the driver. The majority of vehicle manufacturers use radar sensors that are installed in the rear of the vehicle. Two-level, escalating driver information is only offered in some of the systems. The type of escalation (optical, acoustic, tactile, lateral guidance intervention) usually differs from one vehicle manufacturer to another.
The performance capability of the lane change assistants described above is already quite considerable. However, all of these systems have their limits, and the vehicle manufacturers need to inform drivers of these in the owner’s manual, for example.
KeywordsBlind Spot Vehicle Manufacturer Lane Change Driver Assistance System Radar Sensor
The authors would like to express their gratitude at this point to Prof. Winner of Darmstadt Technical University for his assistance in structuring and designing this article, as well as for his initiative of creating the “Driver Assistance Systems Handbook” (Winner et al. 2009).
- Accident database of Volkswagen Accident Research and GIDAS (German In-Depth Accident Study)Google Scholar
- ADAC homepage (2008) Test Spurwechsel-Assistenten. http://www.adac.de/_mm/pdf/Test%20Spurwechsel%20Assistenten_23685.pdf. Accessed 7 Oct 2010
- Article in Autobild.de (2008) http://www.autobild.de/artikel/mazda6-2.2-mzr-cd_806923.html. Accessed 25 May 2010
- Article in Gizmag Internet magazine (2007) Volvo launches blind spot information system (BLIS). http://www.gizmag.com/go/2937/. Accessed 11 Sept 2008
- Article on Heise Online (2007) Mercedes: new blind spot Assistant. http://www.heise.de/autos/S-und-CL-Klasse-Neuer-Totwinkel-Assistent-fuer-mehr-Sicherheit-beim-Spurwechsel--/artikel/s/4517. Accessed 11 Sept 2008
- Daimler global media site (2010) New driver assistance systems: premiere: active blind spot assist and active lane keeping assist with brake actuation. http://media.daimler.com/dcmedia/0-921-658892-1-1298797-1-0-0-1299004-0-0-11702-0-0-1-0-0-0-0-0.html. Accessed 29 June 2010
- Ehmanns D, Aulbach J, Strobel T, Mayser C, Kopf M, Discher C, Fischer J, Oszwald F, Orecher S (2008) BMW 7 series: active safety and driver assistance. ATZextra:114–119Google Scholar
- Ford press release on its Blind spot information system (2009) http://media.ford.com/images/10031/BLIS.pdf. Accessed 25 May 2010
- GM homepage (2010) Side blind zone alert in Buick LaCrosse can help avoid lane change mishaps. http://www.gm.com/corporate/respon-sibility/safety/news/2010/blind_spot_040910.jsp. Accessed 25 May 2010
- Homepage of FICOSA (2002). http://www.ficosa.com/home.php. Accessed 26 Feb 2002
- ISO standard 17387 (2008) Lane change decision aid systemGoogle Scholar
- Nissan homepage (2008) “2008 advance technology briefing” (First part). http://www.nissan-global.com/EN/IR/INSIDE/-INSIDE-SP/ATB2008/page02.html. Accessed 26 May 2010
- Owner’s manuals of the Audi Q7 and VW Touareg (2008)Google Scholar
- Popken M (2006) Audi side sssist. Hanser Automotive electronics + systems:54–56, 7–8Google Scholar
- Prova gallery (2007) Jaguar blind spot monitoring: the car looks back. http://www.prova.de/archiv/2007/00-artikel/0141-jaguar-toter-winkel/index.shtml. Accessed 25 May 2010
- 7-Series Forum (2008) Press photos published by BMW of the new 7-Series. http://www.7-forum.com/modelle/f01/galerie_730d_750li.php. Accessed 25 May 2010
- Winner H, Hakuli S, Wolf G (2009) Handbuch Fahrerassistenzsysteme, Vieweg + Teubner Verlag, ISBN 978-3-8348-0287-3Google Scholar
- Vukotich A, Popken M, Rosenow A, Lübcke M (2008) Driver assistance systems (special edition) ATZ and MTZ:170–173, 2Google Scholar