Handbook of Disease Burdens and Quality of Life Measures pp 2905-2922 | Cite as
Quality of Life in Advanced Renal Cell Carcinoma: Effect of Treatment with Cytokine Therapy and Targeted Agents
Renal Cell Carcinoma (RCC) is the most common type of kidney cancer and its’ incidence is increasing steadily worldwide. Due to the asymptomatic nature of the disease it is often diagnosed in advanced stages and treatment options have been limited. Symptoms of the advanced disease along with side-effects of available treatment options can greatly affect a patients’ everyday living. The goal of therapeutic interventions in such advanced diseases is not only to increase survival but maintain or improve quality of life and functioning.
Cytokine therapy has been effective in only a select group of patients and has been associated with poor quality of life. A review of literature on quality of life in patients in advanced RCC treated with cytokine therapy revealed the use of cytokine therapy was associated with decrease in overall quality of life. Also a comparison of quality of life of patients treated with cytokine therapy with general population showed that patients treated with cytokine therapy had lower quality of life. Limited efficacy of cytokine therapies along with deterioration in QoL has led to use of these drugs in only select population.
Targeted agents such as sorafenib and sunitinib have improved efficacy. In addition these agents have an overall better QoL and improved kidney-cancer symptoms and concerns as compared to interferon. Another targeted agent temsirolimus had significantly greater quality-adjusted survival than interferon.
The current trend in the management of advanced renal cell carcinoma is the utilization of these targeted agents either alone or in combination with other agents. Targeted agents have shown efficacy and safety, and maintenance or improvement of quality of life in patients with advanced renal cell carcinoma.
KeywordsVascular Endothelial Growth Factor Overall Survival Renal Cell Carcinoma Objective Response Rate Kidney Cancer
List of Abbreviations:
- EORTC-QLQ 30
European Organization for Research and Treatment of Cancer Quality of Life Questionnaire Core 30
functional assessment of cancer therapy
functional assessment of cancer therapy – biologic response modifier
functional assessment of cancer therapy –, general
functional assessment of cancer therapy – kidney symptom index
health related quality of life
platelet driven growth factor
patient reported outcomes
quality of life
quality-adjusted time without symptoms and toxicity
renal cell carcinoma
Short Form-12 Health Survey
Short Form-36 Health Survey
time without symptoms and toxicity
vascular endothelial growth factor
von Hippel-Lindau gene
- American Cancer Society. (2006). http://www.cancer.org/downloads/STT/CAFF2006PWSecured.pdf (accessed Feb2008).
- Bacik J, Fairclough D, Murphy B, Cella D, Mariani T, Mazumdar M, Motzer R. (2000). In: Paper presented at: ASCO Annual meeting Proceeding 2000; abstract 1377.Google Scholar
- Cole BF, McDermott D, Parker R, Youmans A, Connolly C, Ernstoff M, Atkins MB, for the Cytokine Working Group. (2003). Proc Am Soc Clin Oncol. 22: (abstr 1555).Google Scholar
- Hudes G, Carducci M, Tomczak P, Dutcher J, Figlin R, Kapoor A, Staroslawska E, Sosman J, McDermott D, Bodrogi I, Kovacevic Z, Lesovoy V, Schmidt-Wolf IG, Barbarash O, Gokmen E, O’Toole T, Lustgarten S, Moore L, Motzer RJ, Global ARCC Trial. (2007). N Engl J Med. 356: 2271–2281.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Kondagunta G, Bacik J, Ishill N, Reuter V, Schwartz LH, Korkola J, Deluca J, Sweeney S, Chaganti RSK, Motzer RJ. (2006). In: Paper presented at: ASCO Annual Meeting Proceedings 2006; abstract 4528.Google Scholar
- Melichar B, Koralewski P, Ravaud A, Pluzanska A, Bracarda S, Szczylik C, Chevreau C, Filipek M, Delva R, Sevin E, Négrier S, McKendrick J, Santoro A, Pisa P, Escudier B. (2008). Ann Oncol. Apr 11 [Epub ahead of print].Google Scholar
- Motzer RJ, Escudier B, Oudard S, Porta C, Hutson TE, Bracarda S, Hollaender N, Urbanowitz G, Kay A, Ravaud A. (2008). J Clin Oncol. 26: abstr LBA5026.Google Scholar
- Negrier S, Perol D, Ravaud A. (2006). J Clin Oncol. 24: 225s (abstr 4536).Google Scholar
- Parasuraman S, Hudes G, Levy D, Strahs A, Moore L, DeMarinis R, Zbrozek AS. (2007). J Clin Oncol. 25: Abstr 5049.Google Scholar
- Phan G, Morton K, Liewehr D, Steinberg S, Rosenberg S, Yang J. (2002). In: Paper presented at: ASCO Annual Meeting Proceedings 2002; abstract 95.Google Scholar
- Plasse T, Goss T, Dutcher J, Logan T, Gordon M, Clark J, Weiss G, Margolin K, Atkins M. (1998). In: Paper presented at: ASCO Annual Meeting Proceedings 1998; abstract 260.Google Scholar
- Szczylik C, Demkow T, Staehler M, Rolland F, Negrier S, Hutson TE, Bukowski RM, Scheuring UJ, Burk K, Escudier B. (2007). J Clin Oncol. 25: 5025.Google Scholar