Adaptive Personalized eLearning
Introduction: Adaptive Personalized eLearning
Interest in adaptive education arose in the 1970s beyond the one size fits all model of education to accommodate the diversity and needs of learners (Glaser 1977). With the advent of computers, digital technologies, the World Wide Web, and new digital platforms, adaptive digital education emerged through the pioneering work of Peter Brusilovsky and his colleagues on adaptive web-based systems in the mid-1990s (see Brusilovsky 1996; Brusilovsky et al. 1996, 1998). Developments in computerized adaptive testing (Wainer et al. 2000) furthered interest in adaptive digital education and intelligent tutoring systems. With the proliferation of digital learning and the emergence of adaptive elearning platforms and data-driven algorithmic education through data mining, learning analytics, and powerful machine learning, adaptive personalized elearning(APeL) is becoming more...
- Al-Mahmood, R., Corbin, J., Balavijendran, L., & Ondracek, C. (2018). Digital identity and e-reputation: Showcasing an adaptive eLearning module to develop students’ digital literacies. In M. Campbell, J. Willems, C. Adachi, D. Blake, I. Doherty, S. Krishnan, S. Macfarlane, L. Ngo, M. O’Donnell, S. Palmer, L. Riddell, I. Story, H. Suri, & J. Tai (Eds.), Open Oceans: Learning without Borders. Proceedings ASCILITE 2018 (pp. 25–34). Geelong. http://ascilite.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/ASCILITE-2018-Proceedings.pdf.
- Brusilovsky, P., Schwarz, E., & Weber, G. (1996). ELM-ART: An intelligent tutoring system on World Wide Web. In C. Frasson, G. Gauthier, & A. Lesgold (Eds.), Third international conference on Intelligent Tutoring Systems, ITS-96 (Vol. 1086, pp. 261–269). Berlin: Springer. http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~plb/ITS96.html.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Educause. (2017). 7 Things you should know about adaptive elearning. https://library.educause.edu/resources/2017/1/7-things-you-should-know-about-adaptive-learning
- Glaser, R. (1977). Adaptive education: Individual diversity and learning. New York: Holt, Rinehart and Winston.Google Scholar
- Hattie, J. (2009). Visible learning: A synthesis of over 800 meta-analyses related to achievement. New York: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Turker, A., Görgün, İ., & Conlan, O. (2006). The challenge of content creation to facilitate personalized e-learning experiences. International Journal on E-Learning, 5(1), 11–17.Google Scholar
- Tyton Partners. (2016). Learning to adapt 2.0: The evolution of adaptive learning in higher education. http://tytonpartners.com/library/learning-to-adapt-2-0-the-evolution-of-adaptive-learning-in-higher-education/