Nonlinear Waves in Multimode Fibers
We overview recent advances in the field of nonlinear guided wave propagation in multimode fibers. It is only in recent years that the study of nonlinear optics in multimode fibers has experienced a revival of research interest. Nonlinear arrays of linearly coupled multicore fibers permit spatiotemporal reshaping and coherent combining of ultrashort optical pulses. Spatial-division multiplexing is an emerging technology for increasing the capacity of optical communication links, and the presence of nonlinear mode coupling requires a careful analysis. Multimode nonlinear fibers have a strong potential for the implementation of a new class of high-power fiber lasers. We describe experiments of Raman beam cleanup that permit to implement quasi-single-mode Raman fiber laser with multimode pumps. Next we discuss the recently discovered effect of Kerr beam self-cleaning, whereby a speckled signal at the output of a multimode fiber may evolve toward a bell-shaped transverse profile.
The authors acknowledge financial support by the Russian Science Foundation (grant 14-22-00118) and by the Ministry of Education and Science of the Russian Federation (14.Y26.31.0017); K.K. has received funding from the European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme under the Marie Sklodowska-Curie grant agreement No. GA-2015-713694 (“BECLEAN” project).
- F. Eilenberger, K. Prater, S. Minardi, R. Geiss, U. Röpke, J. Kobelke, K. Schuster, H. Bartelt, S. Nolte, A. Tünnermann, T. Pertsch, Phys. Rev. X 3, 041031 (2013)Google Scholar
- A.B. Grudinin, E.M. Dianov, D.V. Korbkin, A.M. Prokhorov, D.V. Khaidarov, JETP Lett. 47, 356 (1988)Google Scholar
- K. Igarashi, T. Tsuntani, I. Morita, 1-exabit/s×km super-nyquist-WDM multi-core-fiber transmission, in Optical Communication (ECOC). Systematic Paris Region Systems and ICT Cluster, 2014, pp. 1–3Google Scholar
- J.M. Kahn, K.P. Ho, M.B. Shemirani, Mode coupling effects in multi-mode fibers, in Proceedings of the OFC/NFOEC 2012, OW3D.3, 2012Google Scholar
- K. Krupa, A. Tonello, B.M. Shalaby, M. Fabert, A. Barthélémy, G. Millot, S. Wabnitz, V. Couderc, Suppl. Inf. Nat. Photon. 11, 234 (2017b)Google Scholar
- Z.V. Nesterova, I.V. Aleksandrov, A.A. Polnitskii, D.K. Sattarov, JETP Lett. 34, 371 (1981)Google Scholar
- D. Qian, M.F. Huang, E. Ip, Y.K. Huang et al., 101.7-Tb/s (370 × 294-Gb/s) PDM-128QAM-OFDM transmission over 3 × 55-km SSMF using pilot-based phase noise mitigation, in Proceedings of the OFC/NFOEC 2011, PDPB5, 2011Google Scholar
- R. Rice, in Multimode Raman Fiber Amplifier and Method, US Patent 6363087 (2002)Google Scholar
- P. Winzer, G.J. Foschini, Outage calculations for spatially multiplexed fiber links, in Proceedings of the OFC/NFOEC 2011, OThO5, 2011Google Scholar