Design spiral mostly describes the construction process of submersible design, including AUV, ROV, HOV/HROV, ARV/MS, Glider, Deep Tow System, Lander, ADS, DSRV, Rescue Bell, and Deep float design. Design spiral is often used in preliminary design process of submersible up to submersible tender. It elaborates sequence of design steps and uses sequential cyclical approach and iterative process with increasing complexity to result in single feasible submersible with economically reliable tender. It is rule-based and is subject to univariate systematic variation with constraints.
Basic Definitions About the Design Process
Evans introduced the concept of design spiral in 1959, which represents the sequential and iterative aspects of the process.
- Andrews DJ (1981) Creative ship design. Trans RINA 123:447–473Google Scholar
- Andrews DJ (1994) Preliminary warship design. Trans RINA 136:37–55Google Scholar
- Andrews DJ, (2012) Art and Science in the Design of Physically Large and Complex Systems, Proceedings of the Royal Society A, published online 7 December 2011Google Scholar
- Andrews DJ, Dicks C (1997) The Building Block Design Methodology Applied to Advanced Naval Ship Design, Proc. IMDC 1997, NewcastleGoogle Scholar
- Andrews DJ, Pawling RG (2009) The Impact of Simulation on Preliminary Ship Design, Proc. IMDC 2009, TrondheimGoogle Scholar
- Evans JH (1959) Basic design concepts. J Am Soc Nav Eng 71:671–678Google Scholar
- Murphy, Sabat, Taylor, MarAD, (1965) Low cost ship designGoogle Scholar
- Peter A. Gale (2003) The Ship Design Process, Ch. 5 in Thomas Lamb, ed. Ship Design and Construction, SNAME, Jersey City, NJGoogle Scholar
- Rawson KJ, Tupper EC, (1976) Basic Ship Theory, (2nd Ed), Longmans, London EAMES, ME, DRUMMOND, TG, (1977), Concept Exploration – An Approach to Small Warship Design, Trans RINA, Vol. 119Google Scholar
- Rawson KJ, (1986) The Architecture of Marine Systems, IEE Proceedings, 133(6)Google Scholar
- Ronald K. Kiss, (1980) Mission Analysis and Basic Design, 1st ch. in Robert Taggart, ed., Ship Design and Construction, SNAME, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- UK MoD (1999) Smart Procurement ImplementationTeam: The Acquisition Handbook, Edition 1Google Scholar