Psychosis and Physical Comorbidity
- 8 Downloads
The life expectancy of men and women who suffer from psychotic illnesses is substantially shorter than that of the general population, with 90% of deaths attributable to the sequelae of physical illness. Suicide, accidents, and homicide account for the remaining 10%. Many of the responsible physical illnesses are brought on by heavy smoking, drinking, and lack of activity in the lives of individuals with psychosis. Some of the comorbidity may arise from psychotic illnesses sharing susceptibility genes with seemingly unrelated physical illnesses. Many diseases result from the adverse effects of antipsychotic treatment. It is also reported that the high mortality is due, to some degree, to delays in diagnosis and treatment for which physician stigmatization of mental illness is partially to blame. In many of the comorbid conditions, men and women are unequally affected. This chapter reviews the physical illnesses that complicate the lives of individuals with psychosis and suggests that the responsibility for preventing them is shared among patients, healthcare providers, and health systems. New ways of approaching this escalating problem are urgently needed.
KeywordsSchizophrenia Comorbidity Antipsychotics Prevention Integrated care
- Attar R, Johansen MB, Valentin JB, Aagaard J, Jensen SE (2017) Treatment following myocardial infarction in patients with schizophrenia. PLoS One. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0189289
- Bernard V, Young J, Binart N (2019) Prolactin – a pleiotropic factor in health and disease. Nat Rev Endocrinol. https://doi.org/10.1038/s41574-019-0194-6. [Epub ahead of print]
- Dornquast C, Tomzik J, Reinhold T, Walle M, Mönter N, Berghöfer A (2017) To what extent are psychiatrists aware of the comorbid somatic illnesses of their patients with serious mental illnesses? – a cross-sectional secondary data analysis. BMC Health Serv Res 17:162CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Seeman MV (2017) Breast cancer prevention and treatment in women with severe mental illness. Int J Womens Health Wellness 3:064Google Scholar